The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

December 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Shadows Of Brimstone

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Shadows Of Brimstone

Post by Nefaro on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Finally got all the models assembled and cardboard punched.  Sweet Baby Raptor Jesus!  It took some time!

Pretty much ready to play now, although I'm debating sleeving all the cards sometime soon.

Shot from above:

The largest model's wings are 9 inches from tip-to-tip, for scale on the minis in the back.

Will take some extra pics of it in action, and of some painted stuff once I get to it.  Being a Solitaire/Co-Op game, it will get much more use than a solely multi-player game around here.
Dukely
Admin

Re: Shadows Of Brimstone

Post by Dukely on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:54 am

AW! Its beautiful! So much cardboard and plastic! Solitaire you say? I only have two solitaire games in my collection, I wish they made more.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:05 am

Yep!  Solitaire!

There are actually quite a few of them these days.  Got pretty popular over the last few years, for obvious reasons.  People can get far more use out of them.  It's easier to justify purchasing them when you can bust it out and play solo whenever you feel like it, without having to find opponents (since the game rules run those for you).

Just look for anything labelled as Cooperative.  Some of those still say 2+ players but if it's really a Co-op, you can fully solo it.  I've probably got about two dozen that are fully solitaire capable and there are plenty more out there.  Most are fantasy or sci-fi oriented but there are a smattering of military wargames.

Got the four heroes from Swamps Of Death painted, based, and finished.  They look a bit shiny because the lighting wasn't good so I used the camera flash and the matte varnish coat really stood out when I did. Being gaming minis, I put it on so the paint doesn't get scraped or chipped when in use.

The faces on the models were all deformed to various extents.  I don't spend any extra time on faces either so they look like they've already been mutated by corruption.   Laughing

My game table has a lot of light above it but the glare can be ridiculous.   I took some shots of my first final battle but the glare on some of the components was pissing me off.  A dozen Void Spiders surrounding my Law Man and some Stranglers bringing up their rear.

He died to the spider onslaught pretty quickly but I still had one free Revive token, granted for using two characters in a mission.  He went down quicker than a broke saloon girl when they surrounded him, but he tanked & spanked them after getting back up and dusting himself off.  I was almost certain we were gonna die since the spiders were oozing through the gap between the Law Man and the Preacher, surrounding him.  Managed a win with all my single-use abilities and items burned.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 am

Ah what a cool looking game. I really like the lawman mini. Reminds me of a mini I painted recently. Gonna upload some pics here in a few.

I'll have to have a look for some coop games then!

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 am

Here he is!

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:10 am

Nice!

Is that a loose model or was it part of a game?

The only reason the Law Man's head looks somewhat normal compared to the others in that shot is because he's looking to the side. His face is very deformed on the side showing.. looked like he has a massive bulge down the left side of his head. Had to paint a beard on him to try and hide it. Must've worked. :-)

If you want solitaire game recommendations, let me know. There are a few different types. Dungeon crawlers like this one, deck-building card games, and area control strategy games are the typical ones. Spread across numerous quality publishers too.

I probably have two dozen, or more. There are a handful that are my "go-to" solitaire games for when I want to pull something out and engage my brain without huge setup times or having to re-read the rules. Those are always good ones to start with.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:10 am

Its a loose model. I got a whole bunch of them on sale a few years ago. It looked pretty good, I couldn't tell it was deformed. If you've got some suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Well then...  WALL OF TEXT ENABLE!

Here are some of my favorite Solitaire/Co-Op games --

RPG'ish ones:

Darkest Night from Victory Point Games.
It's got a small board but don't let that fool you, there is a lot of strategy to be had for such a small ruleset.  The really cool part is all the varied player powers available to each character class.  Makes for different synergies.  There are a few Add-On packs that add more classes and other stuff.  I got the "Necromancer Pack" that came with the first two add-ons so I have lots of class variety.  The add-ons can make it more difficult and I find that I'm hitting about a 50-50 win-loss ratio using the base set and the first two expansions.  Fantasy-Horror theme.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128445/darkest-night

A Touch Of Evil from Flying Frog Productions.
Considered similar to Darkest Night by some.  It doesn't have the different player class abilities but has a Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow style 18th century horror theme to it.  I'm not too crazed about their using live actors and props for the card artwork but a few do.  You basically roll to move around and find clues.. there is a lot of card drawing to see what you find and die rolling for combat and skill checks (as with all FFP games).  Many of the FFP games are co-op capable (and thus solitaire!) so it depends on what theme you might enjoy.  I also have their Conquest of Planet Earth alien invasion one (you play the aliens) that does solitaire.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35815/touch-evil-supernatural-game

Eldritch Horror/Arkham Horror by Fantasy Flight
Lovecraft! What more should I say?  Eldritch Horror is the newest one; basically a much more streamlined Arkham Horror on a world map (the original Arkham could be quite big & long).  Move your characters around & find/encounter stuff while trying to stop one of the elder gods from coming back.  
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146021/eldritch-horror

Robinson Crusoe
As expected, you are trying to survive on an island.  There are some other crazy scenarios too.  This one is often brutally difficult.  Which I enjoy in solitaire games.. makes me want to come back for more if I lose.  But at the same time the rules didn't quite stick with me at first so I've not played it as much as it should warrant.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121921/robinson-crusoe-adventure-cursed-island

I'll also recommend Gears Of War Boardgame from Fantasy Flight. You may be able to find it for a decent price. It leans towards a dungeon crawler but I dropped the name here because it uses cards & hand management to issue orders to your soldiers in combination with map movement. But I should still probably put it in the first 'RPG' category. Either way it's a fun game.

You can also find the Dungeons & Dragons Boardgames (not RPG) for a fair price. Like Wrath of Ashardalon and Castle Ravenloft. They're another dungeon crawler with a decent number of minis and randomized tile exploration. Not as expensive as other games with that many components.

Strategy Solo games:

Mage Knight Boardgame by WizKids.
This game is just awesome solo.  But it's mechanics are a unique mix of deck-builder and strategy and who knows what.  Which makes the initial learning curve a bit steep.  Some people complain about it having two different manuals.. a starter manual and a full reference manual.  I thought the starter manual was excellent for teaching such an unusual and complex game.  All the extra reference components also make it easy to come back to it after a time without having to read through some rules again.  As for the gameplay it's difficult to describe.  I watched some YouTube gameplay vids on it before purchasing to see what all the hype was about.  Glad I got it.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96848/mage-knight-board-game

Thunderbolt Apache Leader from Dan Verssen Games
There is a number of solitaire games in the "Leader" series from DVG.  One of the latest is this one.  It's a bit rules heavy but has some fun gameplay.  You run a small piece of a bombing campaign one mission at a time, down low moving dirt.  The previous ones in the series didn't have the randomized hex tile terrain that you had to take into account so this one added an extra dimension beyond that of the older Hornet Leader and Phantom Leader.  DVG puts out a LOT of solitaire games - they just released Field Commander: Nimitz (WANT!) but their stuff can be pretty pricey so I pace myself buying DVG titles.  I also recently picked up their solitaire strategy card game, Warfighter but have yet to play it.  Hrmm.. I also have Field Commander: Alexander yet to play too.  I could go crazy in their store before getting around to what I have!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/123955/thunderbolt-apache-leader

"Deck-Builders":

These are card games with some theme.  Instead of constructing a deck beforehand, everyone gets to "buy" cards as you play and build/customize your deck as you go.  Most have solitaire rules, like the following: 

Marvel Legendary from Upper Deck
These are fun and pretty light on rules.  The theme doesn't come through as much as other games on this list, but that could be said for many deck builders.  It's still in there, but you won't be seeing the narrative as much as the other types listed above.  That said, I still bust this out regularly.  There is also and Alien version and one where you take the supervillain side (Legendary Encounters) and that one has more theme come through in the gameplay although there are only so many alien movie scenarios/cards to play through.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129437/legendary-marvel-deck-building-game

Thunderstone Advance from AEG
The fantasy-themed deckbuilder.  Deeper than Legendary but still not too heavy.  The theme shines through a bit more too.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116998/thunderstone-advance-towers-ruin

Other Card Game:

Sentinels of the Multiverse
One of my favorites, very high on the list.  It can be rather fiddly with having to track all the health and penalties with counters.  But this thing oozes superhero theme.  I love a game where each character or class has it's own play style and this one does exactly that.  It even does so for the supervillains and the locations in which you fight them.  Love it, despite moving health counters back & forth all the time and trying to keep track of bonuses & penalties.  
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102652/sentinels-multiverse

There are quite a few more out there, and I didn't mention all the ones I own.  These are just the most notable ones.  Some don't have minis or boards even - I chose them for the solitaire gameplay enjoyment I had.  

This whole list is pretty much my go-to solitaire games.  The ones I turn to regularly when I want to exercise my brain without any outside distractions.  Some are less expensive than others (notably so on some of the card games since they don't come with minis and a bunch of art-covered game boards) but they're all good.

The ones I played more than once back-to-back after first doing so were Darkest Night, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and Mage Knight Boardgame, if that is any indication.  But tastes can vary depending on what type or theme I feel like at any one moment.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 am

WOAH! That is a wall of text! Thanks for all the info! I'm gonna have a look into some of these games, Thunderbolt Apache Leader sounds cool and so does Thunderstone Advance. I think I've seen some of those games before.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am

Dukely wrote:WOAH! That is a wall of text! Thanks for all the info! I'm gonna have a look into some of these games, Thunderbolt Apache Leader sounds cool and so does Thunderstone Advance. I think I've seen some of those games before.

When it comes to more modern war-tech themed solitaire games, the DVG stuff is a big catalog to choose from. The Leader and Field Commander series are good games. There is actually a PC version of Phantom Leader for sale on the DVG site, for something like $15. It's a great way to learn one of the earlier Leader series games and I highly recommend it.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader was recently re-printed because the original run had sold out. The DVG titles are pretty expensive but there is a lot of replayability in them, especially the Leader series.

Victory Point Games also has some solitaire strategy games. I picked up Cruel Necessity awhile back but it's still on my "To-Play" list.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 am

Ok I know I've seen Phantom Leader before. I've been trying to find it for a good price. Thanks I didn't know the publisher. Now im gonna spend forever looking at all these games...

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

Dukely wrote:Ok I know I've seen Phantom Leader before. I've been trying to find it for a good price. Thanks I didn't know the publisher. Now im gonna spend forever looking at all these games...

DVG also just recently reprinted Phantom Leader. I think they call it the "Deluxe" version now. My local game store has had one sitting on the shelf for awhile - I've been eyeing it. But I already have the computer version of Phantom Leader so I've been looking towards some of their other titles in the meantime. Still have at least two yet to be played so I've been refraining from stocking up on more just yet. Plus there is a lot of play left in TAL for me too.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 pm

I wish i had a local game shop, I live in a very rural state so we have no real niche shops like that.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Dukely wrote:I wish i had a local game shop, I live in a very rural state so we have no real niche shops like that.

Hell... I live in Kansas City and still have an hour-long round trip to get to that one, near the other side of the city.  They're still few & far between, especially good ones with decent stock.  

I only stop for some impulse buying once every couple months.  Can actually get the stuff much cheaper elsewhere but if I ever run into anyone looking for a public gaming spot with open tables, I'd prefer they still be there.

EDIT:

Here's a link to the Windows version of Phantom Leader.
http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/66/Phantom%20Leader%20-%20Windows

I just picked up the newly released Windows version of Ascension on Steam (the deck-building game).  It's one of the simpler deck-builders but still pretty fun.  I have two or three physical sets here but look forward to some multi-player over the net with this version.  The artwork is pretty cool.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/320430/

Ascension isn't terribly expensive. If you wanna check it out, I'll gift it to ya if you wanna add me on Steam (Nefaro). Would probably give you an idea if you'd enjoy the mechanics of other deck-builders.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:44 am

Sounds cool, I added you on Steam. Don't know why we hadn't done that already lol I have Magic the Gathering on Steam too. I tried Hearthstone out too, but it seems a bit pay to win heavy for me. Oh yeah Phantom Leader looks really cool, reminds me of Flight of the Intruder. That might make some cool vids.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 am

Dukely wrote:Sounds cool, I added you on Steam. Don't know why we hadn't done that already lol I have Magic the Gathering on Steam too. I tried Hearthstone out too, but it seems a bit pay to win heavy for me. Oh yeah Phantom Leader looks really cool, reminds me of Flight of the Intruder. That might make some cool vids.

Steam sale started today so they're rather bogged down at the moment. Took me awhile to even get the invite accepted without errors. I'll send Ascension over as soon as I can get through checkout, although gifts tend to take longer to arrive when the Steam store is overloaded.

Same story every year. I tend to wait until late in the evening to do most of my store browsing there, once the sale hits and it bogs down.
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:20 am

Okay.. it went through.

Hopefully it will show up for you without too much delay.
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:58 am

Dukely wrote:Sounds cool, I added you on Steam. Don't know why we hadn't done that already lol I have Magic the Gathering on Steam too. I tried Hearthstone out too, but it seems a bit pay to win heavy for me. Oh yeah Phantom Leader looks really cool, reminds me of Flight of the Intruder. That might make some cool vids.

Yeah, I didn't get into Hearthstone either.  For one, it's just a simplified M:TG.  Even worse, it uses the terrible Warcraft setting - a unicorns & rainbow farts knock-off of the old Warhammer Fantasy IP that started when Games Workshop refused to license it to them for their first title back in the 90s.  Probably due to too much cheesiness. Laughing

I recommend Phantom Leader PC if only because it's much cheaper than getting the tabletop version.  Easier on the wallet to check out although the latest 'Deluxe' boardgame version may have a little more in it.

As for Ascension PC, there's not much in the way of rules to it.  Just remember to click on any expansions you want to add when setting up the game.  They're the little boxes in the center with the abbreviations underneath.  I usually just toss them all in and draw from the insane 720+ card deck.  geek   Not complicated but can be a casual time burner.

I've been meaning to pull out Galactic Strike Force again (an area control/co-op deck builder) since I've only played one game thus far.  Dig some of the concepts but my first win was too easy.  Need to try it with the Advanced Difficulty rules perhaps, but I'll check out some of the other evil overlord boss opponents first. But I still have SHadows of Brimstone splayed across my game table, and the other four heroes ready to paint. Not enough time in the day.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Yeah I'm gonna be getting the PC version of Phantom Leader. I liked that Accession game it was a pretty cool deck builder. Its kinda like Dominion.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:43 am

Dukely wrote:Yeah I'm gonna be getting the PC version of Phantom Leader. I liked that Accession game it was a pretty cool deck builder. Its kinda like Dominion.

Yeah Ascension is like Dominion, but better looking.

The others I mentioned, Thunderstone Advance and Legendary, have similar buy/take base mechanics but the offers are done differently (mostly in Thunderstone) and they also shoot out 'bad guy' cards from a separate deck that you have to take out before they get too powerful. So there's that extra bit added to those over Ascension and Dominion.

I just noticed that the PC version of Sentinels of the Multiverse is gonna be out on Steam Monday. I didn't even know they were working on a PC version as there was only an iPad one last I checked. Good news. Although it's only the base set - would like to see the couple expansions added. That one is my favorite solitaire/co-op card game, although it's not a deck-builder like the others mentioned here. Liked it so much I'll buy it twice. Smile
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Thunderstone Advance and Legendary sound cool. I recently talked with DVG who are going to give me a copy of Phantom Leader for the pc. So expect a video on that soon!

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Dukely wrote:Thunderstone Advance and Legendary sound cool. I recently talked with DVG who are going to give me a copy of Phantom Leader for the pc. So expect a video on that soon!

Awesome!

I've seen Dan stop in at some forums in the past and he seems to be a fairly generous guy.  I recall him doing some boardgame giveaways, when the recession hit a few years ago, to people who were un- or under-employed.  Also reports of them taking care of any quality issues with their boardgames quickly and exceptionally.  So the customer service side at DVG has a good reputation.

There are some really nice guys in the tabletop wargame business.  I'm talking about the old school hex & counter type of "wargamers", not necessarily the 40K minis types although that may also be the case, I dunno.  I've had one fellow wargamer send me a free one and another offer to loan me their old out-of-print Patton's Best when I inquired about whether anyone was selling it.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:18 am

Thats cool. Good to hear they have good customer service. I tried out the game and it had a lot of problems. Would freeze every two or three minutes. So I sent them an email to let them know.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:49 am

Dukely wrote:Thats cool. Good to hear they have good customer service. I tried out the game and it had a lot of problems. Would freeze every two or three minutes. So I sent them an email to let them know.

That sucks.

I recall it making my notebook's fan being ramped up, from running my processor or video card rather hot. Don't know if that's the issue with yours but I may have forced Vsync on in my video card software for it's executable to hopefully reduce it. Happens with a number of games these days. Too many of them try to run the game at 800 fps, running the video full out for no reason.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:22 am