The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

November 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

On The Table

Dukely
Admin

Re: On The Table

Post by Dukely on Wed May 20, 2015 4:16 am

Those minis are looking nice! I'll have to remember to take some pics when I setup games. Sucks when you have to deal with missing parts. Its happened to me quite a few times. Are you liking the solitaire mode? Is it quick or do you have to check a dozen charts to see what happens? Also what kinda quality are those cards?

I'm having the same problem with Starfleet Commander as you did, blowing up enemy ships causes me to crash to the desktop Sad I was finally doing good in a fight for once....

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu May 21, 2015 5:56 am

Dukely wrote:Those minis are looking nice! I'll have to remember to take some pics when I setup games. Sucks when you have to deal with missing parts. Its happened to me quite a few times. Are you liking the solitaire mode? Is it quick or do you have to check a dozen charts to see what happens? Also what kinda quality are those cards?

The components are all good quality. Pricey, of course.

Not sure about co-op (aka "Arcade Mode") yet as I've only set up the game. There is a lot of table sprawl. I'll start it soon, been juggling other things.

I'm having the same problem with Starfleet Commander as you did, blowing up enemy ships causes me to crash to the desktop Sad I was finally doing good in a fight for once....

Someone told me they have Community Edition and their campaign hasn't crashed. I dunno.. must be driver issues or something. I just downloaded this latest CE version so I'll check it out (after dicking with the stupid ISO situation).
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu May 21, 2015 7:03 am

I didn't have any issues after the first time it crashed. Maybe just an occasional thing. Also I cant find a manual or any way to change video/graphics settings. I'm still enjoying it however, after a few hours I got used to the fairly flat looking ship graphics. I'm curious to see if this game would work in multiplayer campaign.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu May 21, 2015 8:21 am

Dukely wrote:I didn't have any issues after the first time it crashed. Maybe just an occasional thing. Also I cant find a manual or any way to change video/graphics settings. I'm still enjoying it however, after a few hours I got used to the fairly flat looking ship graphics. I'm curious to see if this game would work in multiplayer campaign.

I'm pretty sure the Dynaverse multi-player doesn't work anymore, but I may be wrong. It used to be hosted by Gamespy (now defunct) but I think Dynaverse.net started hosting some. However, you may have to modify some text config files to get it to connect, or some such.

The Dynaverse was always rather buggy at times. In SFC2 it was pretty much just like the single-player campaigns, with moving your fleet around on the galaxy hex map, fighting stuff, then resupplying & purchasing new ships. I think you were supposed to be able to "fleet up" with other players but that's where it could get buggy disconnects & such. The SFC2 pvp or co-op battles created in Dynaverse were pretty shaky IIRC.

SFC3 took it to the next level, but it was even buggier. I recall having some wonderful times in SFC3 Dynaverse, in hosted month-long persistent universes where each player would join one of the races and everyone would fight for control of territory. I believe the PvP was limited to 3v3 matches, or 3 versus an AI Starbase, and the disconnects were still a regular occurance, but when it worked the damn thing was awesome. It's too bad it was never quite finished with later sequels. pale

Anyway.. regarding multi-player, you may have to dig around the Dynaverse.net forums for server info. I had to do that years ago IIRC. The head-to-head skirmish multiplayer was fun but it didn't have the draw that the Dynaverse Meta campaign did, for me.

The Manual:

As for the SFC2 manual, I consider it absolutely essential if you want to understand all that is going on. There are a LOT of systems and details. The old thick-ass manual explained them all quite well, and even included weapon effectiveness for each type's range bands.

There is a PDF download for the SFC2 manual available on this page:
http://gaming.trekcore.com/starfleetcommand2/downloads.html

I was lucky in that I had read the old Mongo-sized Star Fleet Battles rulebooks years ago, before playing SFC, so I was familiar with the mechanics. Still, the SFC2 manual is all you need to learn all the little stuff available in the PC game.

Gonna put some tips in a new SFC2 post in the PC game section...
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu May 21, 2015 10:37 am

Hmmm mp sounds shaky then. Maybe I'll look into it. Getting some people to play that online might be fun. Thanks for the manual dl, a few things I wanted to check. Also found this tactics guide that has some good tips for each race.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/339659-starfleet-command-volume-ii-empires-at-war/faqs/10875

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Arcade Mode for Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King turned out to be too easy for my preferences.

The difficulty must hinge heavily on the luck of the monster activation card draws. I don't think they actually attacked me until the 3rd turn and by that time I had already killed most of the ones on the initial board and part of the 2nd batch. Then, when they drew a Respawn card, it didn't respawn much due to the game state when it came up (right after the first spawn had been destroyed and the monsters from the second were practically full-up).

Within a few turns, my three characters had enough bonus equipment to kill the first mini-boss without breaking a sweat. Sure, that gave the rest of the monsters the first upgrade (+1 ARM) but it was still a cakewalk because I had so many extra attack dice from equipment.

Perhaps next time I will use some extra difficulty options, like lower the maximum amount of new items allowed per turn for kills & such.

For now I'm off to my next muses.

Just got my Kickstarter collection for the Agenst of SMERSH reprint in. So I will likely be doing some solo crazy 70s style Spy adventure gaming next. Definitely a mix of Arkham Horror and Tales of Arabian Nights game mechanics.

I'm also debating whether I want to continue painting my SDE minis, or rotate to painting a few more for one of these others:

1) Star Wars: Imperial Assault
2) Shadows Of Brimstone (4 heroes + monsters left)
3) Earth Reborn (still need to learn the rules, however, so probably not for awhile yet)

I've also been reading a few RPG core rules again lately. Kinda moving around between, unsure of which to focus on:

1) Shadowrun 5th (possibly my favorite setting.. and with such flexible campaign styles)
2) Victoriana (vaguely like a 19th century Shadowrun in London with magic, steampunk, some horror/occult, and varied races. This one's new to me.)
3) Star Wars Edge of the Empire (Great impressions from the game system thus far, but haven't explored it much yet)
4) Ars Magica (because it's magic system is awesome & flexible.. I wanted to see what was in the latest edition)

One RPG setting I've been curious about for many years, but had never quite been in the mood for: Deadlands. There is a new Savage Worlds Deluxe version, so I ordered those along with it's post-apoc timeline offshoot Deadlands: Hell On Earth. Sure, I have Shadows Of Brimstone for a straight-up Deadlands-like dungeon crawler game, but I also wanted to check out the classic RPG setting because I never did in the past.

Getting in the mood for some weird horror/occult RPG'ing (or reading, at least) and I wanted something new. Owned previous versions of Call Of Cthulhu and I don't think it's changed much in the past few decades, so I put it on the wishlist and grabbed a couple that were new to me (Deadlands and Victoriana).

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:05 am

Solitaire play of base game, with a few KS extras, in the middle of the action.

Agents Of SMERSH.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:26 am

Cool to hear your thoughts on SDE. Hoping to get some friends to play a game of it soon. What do you think of Imperial Assualt? I would like to get it but the price is a bit high for me right now. I would enjoy painting some Star Wars minis though.

Agents of Smersh looks as good as ever. Reminds me a bit of Evil Genius an old PC RTS.

I recently got to play some DnD with some friends of mine and had a lot of fun. I've been learning and reading rules for Shadowrun 5E since it came out. I just picked up the Beginner Box on Amazon hoping it would help me learn the rules better. Not that it matters, its to complex to teach people on the fly so its unlikely I'll ever play it.

I have both the starter boxes for Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. Shouldn't have difficulty talking people into playing that thanks to its Star Wars theme.

I'm gonna get going painting some things too. Summer always leaves me with too much free time.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:39 am

SDE is probably more challenging when someone is actually playing the Consul in "Classic Mode".

Star Wars Imperial Assault is very much the same kind of game as SDE Classic Mode. One player runs the imperial side, while the others play the Rebel Heroes/Scum. Razz However, it has a wide variety of scenarios with each one having different objectives. It also has a campaign, so the skills & equipment you have (or gained) carry over from mission to mission.

I've only read the Imperial Assault rules thus far, haven't played. But it's the same system that Descent 2nd Edition uses, and I've played that quite a bit (both vanilla rules and the solo variant that uses SDE Arcade-like cards for the Overlord). The biggest difference between the two, aside from the setting, is that IA uses some randomized "side missions" in between the campaign missions via a mission deck you create for you campaign. In Descent, whichever side won got to choose between the next couple available missions instead of drawing some cards from a deck & choosing (as in IA). Any other differences between the two titles are primarily theme & visual-related.

If I had to choose between Imperial Assault/Descend 2nd Edition or Super Dungeon Explore? I'd choose the Descent & IA system. It has more variety due to the campaign system and more content variety available via expansions from Fantasy Flight. SDE is interesting, and has it's own style, but I feel that once you've played it once or twice then you aren't going to experience much difference in future games.

I would think the Star Wars RPG system from FF (EotE, AoR, and the upcoming Force one) would be one of the best choices for getting into tabletop RPGing. It's an interesting mix of abstraction to make the mechanics flow easily, but still retains enough detail and character options to make it worthwhile. The custom dice results that promote some extra storytelling brainstorming is a nice touch, too.

Shadowrun can be a tough system to learn. It has always been a unique one, and sometimes unwieldy although it's supposedly been improved a bit over the years. But I don't think the latest 5th Edition Core Rulebook is laid out well for learning the system easily. It's huge and packed with info, but I recall having a far easier time learning the old 2nd Edition Shadowrun rules. The 5th Edition is a bit of a layout mess IMO for new people to learn, even though some old timers have praised what I just complained about. *shrug*

I'd really like to do some Shadowrun but if I happen to get some RP'ing going, it will likely be with something easier to get into for a first campaign, like Star Wars or my recently acquired Deadlands Reloaded stuff.
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Sorting the 700+ cards in Legendary Encounters: Predator into their sub-decks.  

Took me almost two hours to sort (two layers worth), count mini-deck numbers for completion, and stick them in the box w/ dividers.  Still more enjoyable than punching & clipping wargame counters.    Razz

Still has co-op/solo play, as in the Aliens version, but I'm curious about how the new competitive rules turned out (competing predator players).
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:32 am

Looks nice, I'll have to take some pics of my latest game acquisitions.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am

Lovecraft time!

Only three turns into a solitaire game of Eldritch Horror and my three investigators are already riddled with Madnesses & Injuries.     drunken

Shub-Niggurath will be having it's way with me if I don't turn this around soon.  The Black Goat Of The Woods doesn't give reach-arounds AFAIK, either.   And with the murphy'd dice rolls I've been having, who needs Curses?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:41 pm