The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

December 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Beginner Boardgame Mini Painting

Dukely
Admin

Re: Beginner Boardgame Mini Painting

Post by Dukely on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:21 am

I'm going to be ordering some of these games after the holidays, thanks though.

SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Ok, let me know if you need anything.
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 am

Decided to start painting these 'chibi' minis for the Old Console/Legend Of Zelda-inspired Super Dungeon Explore, and post a quick shot of my progress painting the various heroes from the base set.

I wanted to paint something rather different this time around, and doing these cartoon-y ones was definitely that.  I was terrified of doing the huge eyes.  I've never really done much with eyes before so had pretty much no experience with even normal-sized ones.  Fortunately I found an excellent YT vid on how to do these and they turned out surprisingly well for my first time.  Not as difficult as I thought!

Once I got started, these actually became very enjoyable to paint.  Maybe because I get to do a lot of experimenting.   geek  

Two heroes finished, Royal Paladin and Ember Mage; rest are WiP:

I'll provide a clearer photo once I eventually finish this group.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:44 am

Oh I like them! I painted maybe one or two of them from my set. I find the cartoony style tricky to paint.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:36 am

Dukely wrote:Oh I like them! I painted maybe one or two of them from my set. I find the cartoony style tricky to paint.

I actually found these cartoonish looking ones easy to paint, once I found the great method for doing the eyes.

The bright colors meant I didn't need to worry about layering the skin and clothing as much (something I like to keep subtle in the first place) and it gives me free reign to use some garish color mixes if I feel like it.

I've not really had much practice doing flames or glowing objects yet so this will be some experimentation.  I used a recommended method for creating a deep glow effect on the orb inside the Ember Mage's staff, and it actually did look like it had an inner glow after about my third or fourth increasingly lighter orange coat of tiny dots, but I proceeded to put too many yellow dots over the top and covered up too much of the darker glow underneath.  So it doesn't glow near as much.  I will probably redo the last couple layers to get it back.  Make it look like a glowing ember again.

Like I said, it's been good for a little experimentation.  I have magic/fire/glowy effects needed on other games' minis (such as Descent) so hopefully I can get a decent layering method down with the glowy bits on these.  They're supposed to look cartoonish, so I feel as if I have some wiggle room to do that.

Will post better pics with proper focus on some of these once I finish more.

Edit:
Thought I had trimmed all the mold lines when I was assembling these minis. But I keep finding those damn mold lines after I've primed them. Argh. That's definitely one of my biggest problems, despite having all the tools I need to get rid of them. Just don't notice them all until it's past time. rabbit
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 am

Same thing happens to me, finding lines too late. I like the orb in the staff its looks quite good. I've never really tried to paint any glowy things. I see what you mean about being able to use a lot of bright colors and stuff. Doesn't interest me, I guess I'm just a dark person...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:21 am