The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

October 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Modern Flight Sims?

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Modern Flight Sims?

Post by Nefaro on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:31 pm

So .. there are a few choices out the for modern flight sims.  

Which one do you guys generally favor?

While Falcon BMS is free, and it's campaign engine suitably 'dynamic', it still lends the feel that the original game engine is pretty old.  Despite having been massively overhauled.  There may also be some leftover little issues, although I've not played the latest versions.  So any input on BMS' current situation would be appreciated before I go re-learn Falcon.

Still.. you can't beat the price and you don't see proper campaigns like this in most newer sims.  Not sure how fun it would be for multi-player Co-op.

The other big choice is DCS World.  I have a few modules.  Frankly, the "study sim" minutiae isn't a high priority for me so having fully interactive cockpit buttons isn't a must.  I suppose that's why I've tended to play the Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft more than the A-10C.  

The basic DCS World gives you a free Su-25 Frogfoot for ground attack, at the FC3 level of detail, which is nice.  They also started selling some of the individual aircraft from the FC3 pack individually (such as the A-10, F-15, and Su-27) so there are plenty options.  

But I've always been most concerned about the sim 'environment' in DCS.  The map of the Georgian corner of the Black Sea is just 'meh' and there is no real campaign to speak of.  Just randomized missions that feel rather lifeless.  Looks pretty good even though it doesn't run very efficiently.

Again, my biggest concern is multi-player.  I don't think there are any large population servers to just jump into, but I could be wrong.  Probably requires pre-planned stuff for reliable MP.  But the moderately modelled aircraft types are easier to get into than Falcon BMS and co-op flights could be fun for a mixture of bombing, air combat, and dodging air defenses. Thoughts?
Dukely
Admin

Re: Modern Flight Sims?

Post by Dukely on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:28 am

I haven't found one I really like yet. Some of them like DCS World have SO many buttons. The radar stuff is really confusing for me too. I tried Janes Advanced Strike Fighters and thought that was garbage. Played some Wings of Europe but that has a strange menu system, like if you complete a mission it just exits the game.

I'll have to try that Falcon BMS game.

I think if we found an accessible modern flight sim we could get some people together to play some MP.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 am

Dukely wrote:I haven't found one I really like yet. Some of them like DCS World have SO many buttons. The radar stuff is really confusing for me too. I tried Janes Advanced Strike Fighters and thought that was garbage. Played some Wings of Europe but that has a strange menu system, like if you complete a mission it just exits the game.

I'll have to try that Falcon BMS game.

I think if we found an accessible modern flight sim we could get some people together to play some MP.

If you think DCS is confusing, Falcon is probably more so. When it comes to using aircraft radar, it just boils down to slewing the radar cone around in front of you, then placing the 'gates' over a target and hitting the lock-on button. Things get muddled when it comes to air-to-ground targeting, though, because there are different types of targeting & weapon systems, with different targeting requisites. DCS is probably the best bet when it comes to learning that kind of stuff, depending on which aircraft you're using. Probably easiest in an F-15 or Su-27 since you generally only need to learn the air-to-air stuff.

I didn't even think the old Janes sims were still sold. Those things are ancient. Shocked
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:48 am

Yeah, I like modern jets and the systems are cool and everything but I'm not into it enough to fight my way around the learning curve.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34 pm

I probably won't mess with any of them for awhile anyway.

The supposed final wipe of Elite: Dangerous is coming up this weekend IIRC. I'll probably get stuck in that for awhile. Arrow
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Ah, I wish I had the money for the beta. I did buy the pre-order one so hopefully it comes out soon.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Dukely wrote:Ah, I wish I had the money for the beta. I did buy the pre-order one so hopefully it comes out soon.

December. The 12th IIRC?

I started the beta up a few days ago, to start fingering things out and binding my joystick buttons, but I didn't get far before shutting it down and doing something else. The so-called Docking Tutorial didn't have any instructions. So I was left fumbling around the key commands trying to figure out how to request a landing with the Comms system. Mad
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:44 am

Oh the 12th, well hopefully Ill get a chance to play it, everything starts to get chaotic this time of year.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:24 am

Dukely wrote:Oh the 12th, well hopefully Ill get a chance to play it, everything starts to get chaotic this time of year.

Or the 16th. I'm probably confusing it with the release of many other things. All of which happens at around the same time every year, just before Xmas, to try and cash in.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Ah, well that works better actually.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:27 am