The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

October 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Night Witches RPG

Dukely
Admin

Night Witches RPG

Post by Dukely on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:06 am

Don't know if many of you are into tabletop roleplaying. But the guys who made Fiasco, which is an excellent RPG have started a kickstarter for a new RPG, Night Witches. Its about the women who flew soviet biplanes on night bombing missions. A very interesting setting. I will post a link below to the kick starter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/night-witches

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Re: Night Witches RPG

Post by Nefaro on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I've only rarely played tabletop RPG over my lifetime, despite pouring over them since I was a kid.

Despite that, I still picked up the latest Star Wars and Shadowrun RPGs in the past year. The last one is a special old favorite, so even just the prospect of reading that big ass manual was enough to persuade me.

The ones I actually play are generally Adventure and Wargames. A fair few solitaire capable ones since most of my family and friends don't share my enjoyment of those deep 'designer' games. It's also easier to get stuff like Zombicide, Fortune & Glory, and even Descent 2nd Ed on the table relatively quickly without much planning. Plus there are minis to paint for many of those, so it can serve a dual purpose when I feel the urge.

I have both the Shadows Of Brimstone core sets on pre-order. That will be a shit-ton of mini gluing and painting, but the randomized RPG-ish Lovecraftian dungeon crawl set in the Old West was too damn interesting to pass up. Maybe they'll show up by the end of the year. santa

Actually just read the rules to GMT's Bloody April, as far as wargames go. Gotta get that to the table after punching out all the counters (and possibly clipping the edges). Running WWI squadron flights on a hex map. Dunno how that will turn out but I also have the Arab-Israeli war version of the series too. Along with many other games I've yet to learn & play.

Also learning Mage Wars. Looks like amazing fun for an LCG. They should really make a PC multi-player version for it.

If something ever piques your fancy regarding boardgames, we could always get a Vassal game going in the future. Not the same as moving pieces around and rolling dice yourself but better than squat, right? Smile
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:28 am

I also don't play many of the games I buy. I just like to read the books, same as you. I also bought the new Shadowrun simply because it was a massive book and had some really interesting lore sprinkled throughout.

Is Mage Wars the one where each wizard gets an actual spellbook? That one looked really cool.

GMT is fantastic, I have Labyrinth which is a lot of fun. And since a lot of their games can be played solitaire they actually get used. I am afraid to go to GMTs website, every time I do, I spend money and find a dozen more games for my Amazon wishlist. I know buying games right from them will also give you a Vassal module for the game. Guess I'll have to learn how vassal works...

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:32 am

Dukely wrote:I also don't play many of the games I buy. I just like to read the books, same as you. I also bought the new Shadowrun simply because it was a massive book and had some really interesting lore sprinkled throughout.

Is Mage Wars the one where each wizard gets an actual spellbook? That one looked really cool.

Yes, Mage Wars is the one with the actual spellbook you create. No random drawing of your spell cards, you choose two to play before the action phase of each turn. It's excellent. I even picked up the Druid vs Necromancer expansion despite not having played the game head-to-head yet. I will definitely look around for some Vassal gaming in the future for this. I also think there's another computer system for it too, where there's an LFG lobby or something.

GMT is fantastic, I have Labyrinth which is a lot of fun. And since a lot of their games can be played solitaire they actually get used. I am afraid to go to GMTs website, every time I do, I spend money and find a dozen more games for my Amazon wishlist. I know buying games right from them will also give you a Vassal module for the game. Guess I'll have to learn how vassal works...

I know what you're saying. They recently had a store-wide sale. I used all my willpower to refrain from buying more than two titles. Got those for 40% off since I had a P500 pre-order (Got Fire In The Lake) recently and they offered a deeper discount for doing so. Picked up a couple of the more recent Great Battles Of History series, since those tend to sell out (Hoplite and Ran for some Greco-Persian and Japanese Sengoku Jidai battles).

As for Vassal, it's all free for most games. You just get the base executable (Vassal itself) and download the free module pack for whichever game you want to play from the same site. Some publishers demand that certain essential game components aren't printed in full (like Fantasy Flight vassal modules not having some of the card text), so that someone playing the game still needs to own it. You still gotta run the rules and details yourselves, of course.

I've not yet played a game over Vassal yet either, but I'm increasingly getting the urge since I don't have friends nearby that are into many of my games. I had an offer for joining a 4-person game of Fire In The Lake as the Viet Cong faction, but I was in the middle of other stuff at the time. Kinda regret getting my feet wet with those Vassal veterans, there was probably much to learn.

If you like Labyrinth, there is good news. It's predecessor, Twilight Struggle, is getting a PC version. I would've bought the 'Deluxe' tabletop version that was just re-released but I'd never get any boardgame time with it, but a PC version makes it much easier to find an opponent.
cheers
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:58 am

Let me know how Fire in the Lake is. I saw it not to long ago and thought it looked pretty cool. I haven't played Twilight Struggle yet but I've heard nothing but good things. I was told about the Kickstarter for the PC version, but was to late.

I'm gonna install vassal and check out some modules for it. Maybe we can start a casual game of something since neither of us really know how to use it.

One day I'll make up a list of all the board games I have and we can try to find some in common.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:26 am

Dukely wrote:Let me know how Fire in the Lake is. I saw it not to long ago and thought it looked pretty cool. I haven't played Twilight Struggle yet but I've heard nothing but good things. I was told about the Kickstarter for the PC version, but was to late.

Fire in the Lake looks like a lot of fun if you have four players. Even though it's based on history, it feels a bit more like a Euro game since you're placing, removing, and pushing colored wooden cubes around. Not sure if it's for me, but I need to give it a run sometime.

I'm gonna install vassal and check out some modules for it. Maybe we can start a casual game of something since neither of us really know how to use it.

One day I'll make up a list of all the board games I have and we can try to find some in common.

I will check it out too. I've seen vids on the 'Tube of some specific game modules being used in Vassal. Looks like some pretty straightforward Windows UI stuff although each game has some specific commands. Most of the normal stuff, like reshuffling decks, are just right-clicks I think.

Depending on the game, we don't even necessarily require all players to have a copy. Just one person. Of course, they'll have to teach the others. Either way voice comms are probably ideal for such a thing.

Something to keep in mind for the future, for a change of pace. There is already a lot of PC gaming to keep me busy for the foreseeable future but sometimes I get a bit burned out on them for short periods of time and look towards something a bit different.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 am