The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

August 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

British Pilots

Dukely
Admin

British Pilots

Post by Dukely on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:27 am

We will be switching to British pilots for a few session. If you haven't already you should head over to the roster section and make a pilot.

What plane should we fly as the brits? and it would be cool if we all chose the same skin when we played. Suggestions?

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DukelysFans
BUY GAMES! http://www.gamefanshop.com/partner-Dukely/
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Re: British Pilots

Post by Nefaro on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:16 am

The type of plane depends on the server and which specific mission it's running at any one time.

As for Syndicate server's 1917 missions, I usually see the Nieuport 17 and SPAD VII most often. I don't like Nieuports much at all, definitely prefer the SPAD between the two. But you gotta be able to fight in the vertical with the SPADs, or make slashing attacks, so I'm not sure if everyone is comfortable with that yet. I'm also not sure if there are British SPADs in all the missions on Syndicate. Crying or Very sad Although if the mission has a Sopwith Pup available, I'd easily choose that over the others. Not very fast but superb handling and strong construction - what a Nieuport always wanted to be. Razz

Also note that some of the Syndicate missions have both British and French versions of certain aircraft (like the Nieuport) so double check them when selecting in-game. The British Noops have "GBR" at the end.

On other servers set in a later period, like Wargrounds, the Camel is where it's at. But some missions have only limited supplies of them for a side and they can put you into a nasty spin if you're not familiar with handling them. Perhaps we should do something a bit different in this case and fly the excellent Bristol F2b? Why not a 2-seater that can dogfight, bomb, and recon? Otherwise it's probably an SE5 or SPAD XIII.
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:45 am

what i like about the brits is, that there are a lot of really convingly modeled planes.. where RoF really shines...

the Se5 is very cool to fly, great flightmodel, looks good and it has a whole load of instruments even without mods. It is most survivable as you can run away almost always, guaranteed. It can also maneuver a bit and has very good visibility and beginner friendlyness. The very obvious choice!

the triplane is good to fly, great modeled.. and a good, well balanced match against the albies. But it is fraaaaagile. slightly less beginner friendly but also a must on the to-fly-list.

the Re8 is one of the most beautiful ones.. but it is hard to survive in one. I still think we should  try it, too.

the Pup is a bit overpowered, it can even beat planes that historically made it obsolete.
but very nice to fly in, good flight dynamics.. watch out for stalls at heavy fuel loads, though. And it is fragile! When available, an obvious choice. But train to exit spins before taking it online on the complex servers, as it has usually full fuel load there to make it less OP.

the N17 gbr is quite cool, full instruments as compared to the french N17 and try using the upangled lewis for fun in a turnfight ("s" key default to inclinate.. and just press fhead down key to full to use the sights when up) fun flightmodel, but flimsy plane. And it has little ammo. just 3 drums!
another aspect: rotaries are more dificult under lag conditions, as they require more precise control, in-line engined planes are more forgiving at lower framerates. And it is comon on the servers. Because it is a good match for the albies and overall fun.

the dh2 is about the most fun plane one can fly, but it is the least powerful fighter of all planes in RoF.. great, realistic FM, cool visibility, awesome flightfeeling.. and a certain death against anything better then the fokker E3. A plane for the real men and women among the real men and women ;=)
I´d opt for this!

the camel is either a 2% fuel quickaction UFO that dominates all or, at full fuel, the deathcurse of each beginners pilot. overpowered and hard to handle at full fuel, like it is on the more complex realism servers.. interesting but not for the faint of heart. rarely available, though.

Handley page 0-400:
yeay, all in one plane.. great fun, great to fly but essentially dead once intercepted since it is one big target. But, oh-what-fun if you let the one large bomb drop on human enemies waiting on the airfield 3km below. (but it takes like an hour to climb up there, with that load...) weapon mods are recomendable..

Felixstowe f2a:
that one I´d like to fly together, too.. with weapon mods it packs quite a punch and is fun to fly, especially on the channel missions. it has one weakpoint: the engines fall off, and an experienced fighter ace can make it fall in one pass if you can not keep him from shooting a long burst at one engine.

DH4: slightly odd flightmodel at low weight, ok at high weight. Is veeeeeeeeeeeery fast. If you don´t take weapon mods and just the two 230lbs bombs, you can outrun albies with payload and still deliver a heavy blow. can be deadly with weapon mods for all sides, as it has 6 guns then and can rip apart the enemy but its fragile wings mean it is also ripped apart very very easily.

british SPADS are always a good choice, but the survivability in speed is offset by the fact that less experienced players suffer from the bad visibility in their situational awareness and that you SHALL NOT MANEUVRE but hit and run in them. else you re dead.

forgot the brisfit!
that one is interesting in a multirole.. because you can do a bomb run and be a fighter afterwards. it is fun, but has a bit of an odd flightmodel. But it is very beginner friendly. Just watch for wing damage, it has very fragile wings also. Do ALL you can to avoid beeing shot at. which is kinda hard, because at long distance shooting, the wings are usually hit first.

Last edited by DrZebra on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:55 am

Maybe two seaters are a good choice for the brits. I do like the DH4. Felixstowe would be a fun choice too. I like most of their fighters too.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DukelysFans
BUY GAMES! http://www.gamefanshop.com/partner-Dukely/
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:10 am

I´ll gladly fly ANY british plane..

my most prefered variants would be a 2-3 ship formation sortie to hunt submarines in the felixstowe or a flight of Se5s.

The se5 are very formation friendly (good view, good handling) and would add a bit of advanced flying.. with lots of instruments, radiator, mixture and trim. The trim wheel is actually quite an interesting feature.. but it is important to note that it does affect your dogfight ability. It is comfortable to trim noseheavy for normal flight, but you turn less tight that way (ok, you shouldn´t turnfight in an se5, but still...)

a dh4 run with several ships has the advantage of beeing very survivable and fast for a vid (still 30min-ish thats how bombing works..) but it need to be agreed beforehand on: a) route and b) loadout. no fieldmods, just 2 230lbs bombs if you want to live. Everything else is taking the advantage of the plane away.
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:08 pm

If you want both bombing and fighting in a  2-seater, I'd vote the Brisfit first.  

I suppose a DH4 is okay but I just consider it a bomb truck.  If all we do is bombing then maybe that's the way to go.  

Had some fun train hunting with the Breguet last night, but I think only the French and Americans used it.

As for a fighter, the SE5 would be perfect. It's not too unforgiving, although it flies extremely tail heavy in ROF from the little I've flown in it.
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 am

in the end, we gotta see whats on offer serverwise.. but I am fine with all above, including the breguet, which I can nothing but recomend (as former head of the breguet fan club ;=) )
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Yeah, I imagine we will have to change regularly depending on server and mission.

The Syndicate server missions most notably change the types on offer depending on which mission is running. I jumped in yesterday near the end of one and had Sopwith Pups on offer. When a new mission started a few minutes later, it was only Nieuport 17s.

I'm still missing a few airplanes.. mostly the big bombers and some of the latest releases (Hanriot, Strutters). The only one I still really want to pick up is the DFW C.V, but since I have the Steam version, I'll wait until that bomber package goes on sale this month or in December, whichever comes first.

Wouldn't mind getting the Strutter and Hanriot but I was never into much of the pre-1917 aircraft so those haven't been a big priority for me.

Further.. which ones does Dukely and anyone else joining us have? Choosing British planes will obviously take a little coordination per specific server/mission.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:20 pm