The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

October 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Markus Ostkurs

DrZebra

Markus Ostkurs

Post by DrZebra on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:33 am

Since it is undeniable that testpilot Buddelecker fell to his death, here is the next deathcandidate:
(it also allows me to make a new pilot profile ingame with the DD_xxxxxx identification tag)

Name: Markus Ostkurs
Hometown: Essen
Biography: Markus also grew up in the industrial town of Essen, like mr. Testpilot, who he got aquainted to, pre-war by getting run over by him. Since that early day accident, Markus sports a wooden leg, and a healthy disdain for cars. But with the right contacts physical fitness requirements for joining the aircorps were easily overcome, as well as the starting rank. A natural born leader, (ie: totally clueless but with a comanding voice) he hopes to lead further flights.

DrZebra

Re: Markus Ostkurs

Post by DrZebra on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Herr Ostkurs made his first flight over the front alone, and after seeing a bunch of germans getting slaughtered in the distance, he was miracously able to shoot down one of the triplanes, out of formation after the fight.

Returning, he first made a very clean landing..at the wrong airfield (where he wasn´t popular telling he had watched the home squadron go down in flames from a distance) and continuing home he eventually made it home, but a slight mishap with the horse drawn supply-carriage damaged his plane beyond repair.  Except for his ego and a crate of the COs champaign everyone remained unhurt but the broken plane prevented him from taking part in another sortie... resulting in first raised eyebrows of questioning on how brave and enthusiastic a guy named OSTkurs actually might be, on the WESTERN front.

the factual evidence:
http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391199/
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

just as a sidenote, this pilot so far has been extremly lucky..

Not relevant to our the career play, but I had a quick go at the quick action server of aces falling after our two syn missions, and forgot to change pilot profiles... so I ended up taking Ostkurs there, and the saved plane conditions were from a training flight. Thus, the first flight was "empty" with no ammo.. much to my surprise when I got into a fight, finally the lone other enemy player crashed himself... because he´d gotten nervous and thought I was cool enough to wait for the "killer" shot, little did he know ;=)
And then I even made the dreaded dolphin landing without dying on the bumpy field
http://aces-falling.co.uk/sortie/135525/
note: loadout empty.... lol

then i got into a fight with 2 players at once and got both and made it home again, in a dolphin:
http://aces-falling.co.uk/sortie/135528/

talk about a lucky day... no deaths so far.
http://aces-falling.co.uk/mission/1864/
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Thats a great story! So you were right behind him and he tried to maneuver to get away from you then crashed?

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:17 am

yea, he failed to pull out of a dive... partly because (just saw that in the recording) he also had forgotten to change the default-loadout and had his bombs still on... I recorded a track of that fight, but it didn´t turn out too great, but just for fun, because it was the first time I actually accidentally had no ammo and felt pretty baffled in the first part of the fight, then I tried to see what would happen if I stayed behind him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kver2vbofqc

the shots at 0:53 that look like mine are actually his...
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:35 am

Such a great vid! Glad you caught it!

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23 am

had another, albeit resultless mingle with an ai strutter just to give him a bit more flying time before he dies.. went about it the wrong way and had to run home, wounded.

http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391319/
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Mr Ostkurs has flown further missions on syn and destroyed a trainstation and 2 Se5. Still alive.

trainstation:
http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391347/

flight of 2 Se5, both pilots killed:
http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391362/
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:06 am

Well done, added to the board!

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:40 am

flown 2 more sorties, still alive...

had a bit of trouble with 2 strutters that were really unimpressed by all my bullets and ended up beeing wounded, out of ammo and fuel and oil in a field. BUT alive.

Some seaside reconvalescence was then in order and hitching a ride with some friends from the marine aviation, a presumably british sub was found and attacked, albeit without much impression.

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:22 am

Love the video! What server where you on?

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 am

syndicate as mostly.. the labels (which are off, live) do show in the recorded tracks, so you can see who did what..

for dramatic purposes, I inverted the order of the missions. It was just fitting with beeing wounded and going to the seaside.

w12: http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391467/
Halb DII: http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391473/

stats: getting close to 5hrs flighttime (which I hope to archieve before gettin killed, lol)
with over 60% good landings and only one real shootdown crash. but 2 in 8 times wounded.

gettin 10 missions done without dying, is now the next milestone ;=)
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:57 am

Great so far! I've been working on getting a server for the squad setup but I gotta get some flight time in Razz

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:50 am

last 2 flights on syn were cut short by serverchange just climbed up when the 10 mins left message showed up... so just bad timing and no further change except time flown.

http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/pilot/59348/#vlifes
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 am

And i´ve flown an incredible 2hrs mission... photorecce with mr.Ostkurs. Unfortunatly it doesn´t give points with the stats programm, but man, it was one of the tuffest missions, so far.

I hadn´t really an idea, what was on the server, so I thought: a well a quick foto-run for diversifaction.

I had no idea, with the wind and the clouds, the climbing time between the narrow corridors of the clouds was really harsh.. the main trouble was, that I was too heavy to climb over the clouds, so I had to waste some fuel and not get into the clouds..
When I finally got there, it was darn hard to find the right groundspot for pictures and stay there, as well as altitude, as the max was 3500m and the clouds got til 3000m... and I had no fieldmods, ie: no speed no altitude indicator..
It took me a while...And then all of th syndicate squad entered the server and I was the only german player. 1 vs 9 at the worst moments later in the mission. But I could avoid all combat and bring the fotos home and make a nice little landing in one piece.

looks totally unspectacular in stats, but was the hardest so far:
http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/391524/
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:56 pm

That sounds like an incredible mission! I think a medal is in order Wink

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Markus Ostkurs was awarded the House Order of Hohenzollern on 12/10/14 after a daring photo reconnaissance flight deep into enemy territory in the face of extreme danger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Order_of_Hohenzollern

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:27 pm

oh, nice. Now at least there will be a bit of colored ribbon to hang on the grave, I think it will go well with the flowers ;=)

But lets see if the 20 missions survival time can be met!
Thanks
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:26 am

Haha! I'm sure you can make 20!

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 pm

AAR: Ostkurs sortie #13
Big bad bombers circeling are over the aerdrome. An emergengency power climb to intercept is in order!
But unfortunatly, the clumsy mechanic has spilled his XXL-coffee over the seat of the brand spanking new Fokker d7f of Crueger, and the cushions are soaking wet. Crueger in return refuses to fight the civilzed englishman with what would appear to be soiled pants. "Thats not how we got to war!" he says, and climbs in his old, outdated pfalz.
Both planes climb skywards, as they see one of the bombers explode, shot down by a lone wulf ace of Jg1 (maushake) but as the enemy then fearfully retreats over the lines,  Ostkurs seperates from the flight by slamming the throttle forward.. he catches a bomber over the lines furiously shooting, kills both rearward gunners and damages the engine enough for Crueger to catch up. Wasting all his ammo in the process.
Crueger never shows up.. the bomber flies low into the own AAA proteced allied airspace. Was Crueger composing a new Sonata? He takes german propaganda effort aimed at winning the neutral US hearts and minds through "Kultur" very seriously and appears to be convinced that this is more important then the death of some unimportant british bombers..

after the flight is re-joined over the lines, a collison occurs and Cruegers prop splinters while destroying half of Ostkurs his Fokkers elevator. Ostkurs tries to push Crueger over the lines, thinking of the sonata that must not fall into enemy hands. And breaks his prop in the process. Both planes retire to the countryside to think of an excuse on what to write in the official report.

http://stats.newwingstraining.com/sortie/506852/
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:37 am

Haha! This is Fantastic!

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 am

AAR: Ostkurs sortie #14
http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/392944/

the squadrons ineptitdue in regard to its abilities for POSITIVE air combat results...... and especially the failure to intercept the bomberformation that took a calm, hourlong evenig-approach to destroy the sectional headquaters "special use" depot has left some tensions between squadron and comand.

Though, clearly, the bombing of said depot is a german victory, as far as the squadron is concerned..

Ostkurs argumentation, that the fact, that it was falsely identified as beeing relevant to the war effort and thus the effort and material wasted by the enemy to destroy irrelevant tropical smoking goods, silk stockings and some exotic booze was a de-facto victory for the airforce inteligence is not widely shared in the higher circles.

In the heated, alkohol fueled dinner at the cheauteu, thoughtless angry remarks by some on how "the whole squadron should be transfered to night bombing, if they just weren´t too dumb to takeoff in a heavy plane" hurt Ostkurses pride.

Drunk and angry, he heads imiatly back to the aerodrome and looks through the leftovers of the recon-squadron that was housed here, before the transfer. Finding some leftover robust and heavy looking ammunitions, Ostkurs asks for the liasion twoseater to be loaded to its brim. Including Fat Alberto, the cook of the enlisted men in the second seat.
While Alberto at first has dificulties in accepting his new found patriotism and volunteering to go over the front, to gloriously represent the working non combat folks in this new art of warfare, a drawn pistol, 2 bottles of Schnaps and the promise to not transfer him to the frontline, finally bring flame to his enthusiasm.

Roaring into the sunset, the flight is long, slow climbing and uneventfull. Even Alberto gets cheerful by the absence of enemy planes and mildly cold evening air. Three targets are attacked in a row, moving on a northbound course against the wind through the enemy sector. Despite carful aiming and observed impacts, the absence of explosions and fire puzzle Ostkurs, but well, "splash damage" is probably extensive and afterwards this exact wording gets filed in the oficial report.

It is not until days later, that inteligence reports on secret erratic paint marks on trains, stations and anti aircraft trucks. Why and how those are grouped together and why it is bright orange draws considerable discussions among the inteligence community and.
Only by accident that in a dark corner of a bar, it is that Ostkurs learns of the creativity of the former reccon squadrons armament technican who had invented paint marker bombs for the training and transition to a new more combat oriented role of the twosweaters. Which never really cought on. Under the oath of silence, he is recruited to the "DUCK" squadron.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 am

Fantastic tale! Some exquisite roleplay/storytelling here! If only others where as into this as you and I seem.

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:30 am

ot: well, I´ve mad a new recruitment drive over on the RoF forums..
http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=349&t=44339

meanwhile:
AAR: Ostkurs, sortie #15
http://www.stats.syndicatesquadron.org/sortie/392978/

a simple 2 ship frontline patrol..
the excitement of this new form of warfare is wearing thin with routine, but the fear stays the same.

teamed up with Peter von Wald, another nobleman turned aviatior, the trusty old albatri roam towrds the front.
After not beeing able to intercept a fast Re8, that was probably up to no good, the flight is attacked by colorful Hanriots HD-1s from the belgian airservice.

Both Peter and Markus are able to shoot one down, the one Ostkurs claimed clearly infront of the german trenches.. But in both cases, the claim is disputed and not given by the kaisers statistical department. "Unconfirmed by army means unconfirmed, you have the deep satisfaction of knowing you have served the fatherland..." is all the comander has to say.

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 am

That song didn't have much piano.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 am