The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

November 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Starfleet Command 2 CE

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Starfleet Command 2 CE

Post by Nefaro on Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 am

The newer CE edition I picked up today seems to be more stable. Thus far I've played a Skirmish and did three campaign battles with a couple different Romulan birds and no crash *crosses fingers*

and on to:

Basic Tips!

1) Supply

Stock up & Repair as much as you can between campaign battles. Repair Parts are especially useful because your in-battle repairs are limited to how many of these you're carrying. Mines are great for dropping (M key) to dissuade a pursuer, or using as a Teleporter Bomb (B key) for better placement at the cost of lowering a shield. Marines are great for Hit & Run transporter raids to knock out specific enemy weapons/systems. I tend not to use them for outright capturing enemy vessels because you have to keep transporting them multiple times (dropping a shield each time) and they die like flies while the marine battle is raging. It's never a bad idea to keep as many as you can just to fight off enemy capture attempts.

2) Drones (supply)

I put Drones in a separate category because there are many facets to them. You'll have to purchase enough to fill your magazines, so they will cost you a steady amount of Prestige to keep filled on ships that have drone launchers. Just be sure to use at least "Medium Speed" drones, because those cost nothing extra and are default. Get all four reloads available too, if possible.

Also stock up on Shuttles. These can be used as both "Wild Weasel" decoys, to briefly decoy away Drones and Plasma Torpedoes. You can also use shuttles as a "Scatterpack" which just loads it with six of your Drones and launches them all at once when the SP shuttle gets close to it's target (which is where he hopes he has a readied Wild Weasel left!). You must convert shuttles to these special use types during each battle, and it takes a little time. I always ready at least one Wild Weasel if my opponent has any seeking weapons (drones, plasma torpedoes, etc) available. If I have drones and extra shuttles, I also tend to create at least one Scatterpack for some offensive punch.

3) Power!

Just like the tabletop, you'll be utilizing a limited amount of power for.. everything. So if your heavy weapons aren't all charging, you may have too much allocated to movement speed or other things. I've even occasionally shut down the power to some weapons in order to make sure I have enough speed, defensive tractor beam power, and weapon overloads steadily cycling. You can also alter the power priorities if you feel like it, although the default is pretty good and leaves it flexible.

On the other side of things, it doesn't hurt to set some Shield Reinforcement. "Reinforce All shields" is more power efficient but not as focused. I usually prefer putting any extra power into reinforcing the forward shield on the first merge pass, when going head-on alpha strikes. After that, I tend to Reinforce All and focus on other things, just trying to make sure I have some reinforcement set so that any extra point or two of power will reinforce instead of being wasted.

4) Weapon Presets

Use the Control Groups 1-4. If you still have the same ship next battle, these presets will still be saved.

Sometimes you'll want to just snipe from a distance with your Phaser-1s (the best & longest-ranged shipborne phaser model) and other times you may just need to fire your heavy weapons or select a set of them so you can switch between Normal/Overload/Proximity/Enveloping/Etc Modes. Plus launching "Pseudo" Plasmas or downgrading to smaller sized Plasmas (for another example). Set 'em up accordingly.

Shit's deep. If you're curious about an aspect (and there are many), then look it up in the SFC2 Manual since it's quite detailed. Smile
http://gaming.trekcore.com/starfleetcommand2/downloads/sfc2.pdf
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Re: Starfleet Command 2 CE

Post by Nefaro on Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 am

Also, regarding screen resolution, this old thing only runs at 4:3. So hopefully you have your vid card set to retain games' aspect ratios and not "stretch" it.

The res can be raised a notch in the sfc2.cfg file, with notepad.

I believe the LowRes=3 is the one to change, IIRC. Pretty sure the value '3' is for 1024x768 so '4' must be 1280x1024.

'5' is supposed to be 1600x1200 but I don't think it works and the UI doesn't scale so you probably wouldn't be able to see shit on the UI even if it did. Hell, the 1280x1024 UI is at about the limit of legibility.

I'd like to force some serious anti-aliasing on but I suspect it might cause problems with such an old game on newer drivers.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu May 21, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks for the tip about changing the res. The battle screen looks much better now. Looks less cramped and the ships don't seem so flat. Luckily I picked up quickly on the power system after having played the tabletop version. I use marines quite a bit, I was able to capture an enemy ship after it had sustained heavy damage.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Thu May 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Let me know about multiplayer. Even skirmishes are fun. I'm just not sure what, if any, MP is working these days.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri May 22, 2015 12:41 am

So far I've discovered GameRanger may work for playing mp. I've used it before as its the only way to play some games now that Gamespy is gone. Also found some server files and some extra downloads on the Dynaverse site. Most of the operation there seems to be dead. Some activity on the SFC2 forum. GameRanger is probably the way to go. I'll have to wait a few days to test is with a friend.

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri May 22, 2015 12:57 am

Alright a little update. GameRanger won't work since we have the "Community Edition" The only way to run it using the server files from Dynaverse Is using a mysql server which means its more trouble then its worth. Unless someone comes along willing to attempt it, I don't have the patience for it.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri May 22, 2015 1:02 am

The CE release notes mentions a redone "Server Kit" for hosting multi-player. I'm guessing all the fixes were for OS compatibility purposes..?

Dunno. I didn't expect this thing to run MP without some work. It would be great if it did work with minimal fuss and newer OS issues.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Fri May 22, 2015 1:37 am

I think if we bought the standard version, which they also sell it may work for mp using GameRanger. The community edition may not work anymore due to the loss of gamespy. From what I can see you need to login to a gamespy account to join a Dynaverse server and I imagine that would be the case for a server we create as well.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri May 22, 2015 2:26 pm

Dukely wrote:I think if we bought the standard version, which they also sell it may work for mp using GameRanger. The community edition may not work anymore due to the loss of gamespy. From what I can see you need to login to a gamespy account to join a Dynaverse server and I imagine that would be the case for a server we create as well.

The original version only used GameSpy IIRC.

After registering on the Dynaverse forums, I noticed there was some recent discussion this year:

GameRanger will identify Orion Pirates, but it doesn't identify Community Edition. I prefer to use EvolveHQ for all versions of SFC. GameRanger prohibits the use of AI if you want to do a co-op mission, it hangs frequently during launch, and you can't immediately start a new session. Evolve is similar to a LAN party.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394188.0.html

Sounds a bit troublesome and GameRanger looks flawed. I've never used GameRanger or Evolve for anything so I dunno what's up.

I'm still getting some CTDs right when I blow up an enemy ship in the campaign. It must be gfx or sound related, because it only seems to happen when I fire more than one type of weapon in the death blow strike.

I did pick up the Orion Pirates version when I bought CE. I never bought it back in the day, since it was a new full-priced standalone version of SFC2 that only added some extra Orion pirate stuff (the least interesting faction for me) but I think it did have slightly better ship textures and oddball stuff. So for $6.. why not? I've only tried a single skirmish battle in OP, but that one seemed more stable despite being the old '01 version. *shrug*
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Also... found the thread for my specific crash bug.

It's a specific Patrol mission with an Orion Pirate opponent - that CTDs whenever you destroy him. So be wary of this one:

Yep. Met17Patrol. This script instantly crashes when you do enough damage to destroy an Orion.

I was, however, able to complete a different mission (Scan, I think) containing an Orion. I destroyed the O-CA and the game didn't crash.

Met17Patrol.scr needs to be looked at.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163393584.0.html
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 am

Hmm, I'll remember to avoid that patrol then.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sat May 23, 2015 11:12 am

Found the workaround fix for the mission crash in CE!

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394220.msg1123048821.html#msg1123048821

cheers

It reportedly just replaces that specific mission (Met_17Patrol) with a different one, but at least you dont' have to worry about it anymore.

Also.. I played SFC2: Orion Pirates campaign for quite awhile the other night. Rock solid thus far. Pretty much the exact same thing albeit with a smattering of extras. As with stock EAW, it still has some of those boring "FedEx" missions in the campaign where you just tool about, scanning and using transporters on stuff, and none of the extra user-created combat ones in CE. It also seems more difficult, as if the enemy AI fleet point values are notably higher on average and the Shipyard costs are much higher.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 am

Great! I'll be sure to use this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:35 pm