The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

October 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

So I´ve been trying it out..

DrZebra

So I´ve been trying it out..

Post by DrZebra on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:29 am

I had a look at warthunder, as with the new ultra-low settings even my oldie runs it...

so contrary to good advice, I´ve been playing with joystick and not with mouse, as I can´t really brng my self to that.. and it is really clear, that you are at a severe aiming disadvantge.. albeit the mouse players have trouble following you though extensive rolling maneuvers..

the first matches went quite well, some kills, no losses, but once you get another plane it is an entirely different story flying your sole "pete" biplane vs yak 7s and other killer-cannon guys.

basically, I wanted to look into combined battles with player ground forces.. in realistic mode, but to enter that you would have to go and grind for planes first.. which kinda demotivates me. And realistic battles seem to be very rare.

DrZebra

Re: So I´ve been trying it out..

Post by DrZebra on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 am

I made it to the simulator battle! Anyone else wants to join occasionaly when there is an event?

I made a bit of an AAR over at http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4084205/A_Nerdy_NOOB_tries_War_Thunder#Post4084205 for that.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:12 am

I haven't bothered with Sim Battles as the queue wait times are rumored to be quite long.  

I've also had serious issues getting my joystick sensitivity set properly in War Thunder.  It's been a major issue and after two long attempts, I still haven't been able to get it set properly.  Compared to IL-2 BOS, it just feels wonky.  Some day I vow to try again but after the last pair of frustrating and time consuming shots, I'm in no hurry.  

It would be very cool to fly Sim battles with all my hardware AND have nice one or two minute long queue waits but I have doubts about both right now.  So I've been playing Realistic Battles mode with mouse & keyboard.  Not as bad as it sounds, but it took awhile for me to get used to it.  Really allows you to get your head outside the cockpit and focus more on the strategy & tactics, which is always something I found interesting about air combat.  

I figure that if I want to fly a WW2 sim using my HOTAS, pedals, and TIR, with good FM, I'll jump into IL-2 BOS multiplayer again, even though it has far less aircraft types to fly.  The stick settings are the exact same as ROF since it uses the same engine, and I know how to tweak those.

EDIT:  I think your problem with getting into a quick Realistic Battles match early on is that most RB players are more experienced with the game and play Tier 2-5 matches.  There are few who do Tier 1 in RB after levelling past it because those old slow fighters aren't the shiny pretties everyone wants to fly.  I tend to see the most doing Tier 3 & 4 on average but you can get regular matches with Tier 2 stuff.  It actually goes by the "Battle Rating" of the aircraft, and generally only matches you against other planes within +/-1 BR.  So keep that in mind when you're starting.

Once you get up to using a 2.3 or higher BR, you'll probably start getting into matches pretty quickly.  If you need to, grind through the lowest stuff in Arcade.  The earliest planes don't take terribly long to do grind and you can get a feel for how much lead to use when firing from Arcade's lead indicator, because you won't have that in RB, and other stuff like landing a damaged plane.

If you want to team up for some RBs sometime, add me to your Friends List in War Thunder and let me know here or in-game when you're up. My nick is 'Nefaro' there too.

I'm pretty sure you can do custom missions against AI, with friends or not, to practice if need be. I just jumped straight into the multi-player pvp battles though when I started.
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

I only wanted to fly the "sim" event.. the only air-to-air is just so-so as you said, the joystick and flightmodel is a bit cluncy.

In the event there where no waiting times longer then 30sec, it´s still on
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 am

I would do the sim battles more but like Nefaro said it takes to long and you spend forever in the queue.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:55 am

Realistic Battles mode is still good enough, if you don't mind using mouse & keyboard.  Or you could fly from inside the cockpit with your joystick and TIR anyway but the mouse aimers will have an accuracy and mouse look advantage over you.  However, you can pull smoother more precise maneuver with a stick so it's not all shit & sand.

I just fly it with mouse & keyboard. Took me awhile to get used to it because I've never flown a sim that way before but it's enjoyable nonetheless.  It feels like a strategy/shooter hybrid since you're in 3rd person view and it focuses on team tactics, so it has a different flavor than your usual sim.  The flight modelling is still passable too so B&Z/Energy fighting is still quite relevant.

I'm kinda thankful I don't have to put on my TIR hat and crowd my desk with my HOTAS.  I definitely enjoy using them but it's nice to get away from the trappings and have a more casual go sometimes.

Recently picked up my first jet, the F2H-2 Banshee.  Having a blast with it, despite being outmatched by MiG-15s and the German post-war reconstruction Sabres in some matches.  Getting close to unlocking my own MiG-15bis soon so it should get more interesting then. king  Also close to getting some British Meteors and continue through the US Navy line for some F9F Panthers.

The amount of aircraft types in this game is crazy.  There are also a fair number of screwy flight models, so I guess they go with quantity over quality when releasing them, and worry about fixing them later on, but it's still impressive.  Pretty much all the fighters and many of the dive bombers/ground attack planes also have cockpits modelled.  Which is probably what makes me want to fly from inside most.
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:57 am

well, the flightmodels are... odd. But I can live with some of them. I unlocked the T50 in a day, so now I can go into the sim battles.. it is really good to have air and ground vehicles there, but I´m mostly a sturmovik guy.

Dukley, if you klick on the "events" button up right corner and select all 4 server types, you never wait longer then 30sec. for the battles...
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah, the "Mixed Battles" for Sim and RB modes will likely get you into a match faster because the teams are made up of both tank and aircraft players.  Probably a good way to get into Tier 2 and 3 since that's where much of the population is queueing up.  

My concern with the mixed battles is the heavy focus on ground attack.  So it's a trade-off.  There will likely be a higher amount of flyers in ground attack aircraft shooting at each other down on the deck (and enemy tanks of course) instead of having a large air combat at all altitudes as the focus.  You also have to spot and identify your targets which can be tricky, especially regarding ID'ing friendly & enemy tanks on the ground below.  The regular matches, which are joined by using the big red button at the top, are focused more on air combat tactics as a team, with a usually small amount of ground attackers doing their thing (except in the odd bomber vs interceptor mission over Germany on the Ruhr map).

With mixed ground & air matches in Realistic Battles, you get the option to respawn as either one of your aircraft or tanks if you scored enough points during the match prior to dying.  But it also has all the friend/foe labels and mini-map updates.

I've been completely sucked into the air combat in RB mode.  If I knew that I could do regular air combat in Simulator battles without having to wait in the queue very long, I'd force myself to get my hardware set up. Especially during some of the odd hours I can be on.  Maybe I'll convince myself eventually, but I'm having fun in RB anyway so no hurry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 am