The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

December 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Silent Hunter IV vs Silent Hunter III ?

GenMarkof007

Silent Hunter IV vs Silent Hunter III ?

Post by GenMarkof007 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:46 am

Hi All,

After viewing a few Silent Hunter IV and III youtube videos (some from Tailmange), I was wondering what version you guys like better?
Both games are 9.99$ on Steam, for now, I did get the Silent Hunter IV this weekend and started to play with it... seem's a bit of newb learning before getting all the knowledge to get hunting the high Seas.

Also, like I told SeaLord, it seem's that we can play multiplayer in Silent Hunter IV, SH III seem's more a LAN with up to 8 players.

Let me know if you have any feedback on either games and maybe we will hunt some merchant ships! Wink

Cheers
Gen

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Re: Silent Hunter IV vs Silent Hunter III ?

Post by Nefaro on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 am

Silent Hunter 4 by a long shot.

Some of the Axis Fanboys refused to buy it, back when it came out, because it didn't have their precious Nazi U-Boats.  That's their misfortune (and I was a bit disgusted to hear such things).  SH4 ended up being in the best condition of them all, especially after the update that was included with the Indian/Pacific U-boat expansion, for all the aforementioned fanboys.

I used a personally modified version of the Trigger Maru megamod for SH4.  Good stuff.  

I'll never go back to SH3 for numerous reasons.  There is a crew bug where your crewmen will get stuck between the two engine rooms when submerging or surfacing, so you have to go manually do it every time.  A real bad one is the never ending storms.  Sometimes they will start and continue on during your whole months-long patrol.  Terribly & annoying bug.  There is also no thermocline layer modelled, as an example of some submarine warfare staples that aren't present.  It also doesn't run in widescreen mode so you'll have to set your vid card to keep the aspect ratio & resolution so it puts the black bars on the side or else you'll get the stretched oval view.  I could probably go on some more but you get the point.

SH4, by contrast, is a more modern game with more detail "under the hood", better graphics, better crew automation, etc, etc.  People still play SH3 because they love the Grey Wolves megamod but I don't think you should bother with it these days.  I'd rather put up with Ubi's crap DRM and having to "mod soup" SH5 for a Uboat sim than go back to that old thing.  The Trigger Maru mod for SH4 beats it all around anyway, unless you're one of the aforementioned Axis fanboys who refuse to operate an Allied sub.

I've not played an submarine sims in a few years, so I'm a but rusty.  I did manual targeting (very rewarding!) in all of the SH series but it's a bit different between the American and German ones and there seems to be a few different styles for each.  I would recommend dipping into learning that ASAP, if you get one of these, because it adds to the tension and sense of accomplishment.

If you pick up SH4, make sure to get the Wolves of the Pacific U-boat expansion because it includes the final patch.

The original physical disk version had it's DRM removed because (per usual) the DRM was buggy. So if you get the disks, I don't think you need to use them after installing or do any stupid Ubi login crap. Not sure if the digital version has DRM, but knowing Ubi those assholes may well have added it to that version.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Wow Nefaro,

Thx so much for this great review...
So I did the good choice when I got Silent Hunter IV this weekend.
After reading your review, I went and got the update with the Indian/Pacific U-boat expansion.

I'd like to know more about the ( Trigger Maru megamod ), is this more a graphic, weapon upgrade or does it give a second life to the game?
Also, your saying you personally modify version of this mod, did you edit some of the files or is it a special version that you can mod yourself?
I did find a version 2.5 of that mod, if this is the latest version, I'd like to test it soon.

For now, I started a U-Boat campaign to see and learn a bit about all the views and commands.
The biggest learning curve seem's the manual torpedos targeting... nothing that a few missions and Youtube videos can't help with.

Thx again for the input, always fun to get some feedback from people that did play the game.

Cheers
Gen Smile

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the final version of the Trigger Maru mod, to be used with the Wolves expansion version #:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132330

TMO tweaks a lot of stuff, but mostly little details like detection values, AI, changing some interface features that provided more info than it should, etc.  It may be a bit more difficult for reasons such as the map screen not showing you contacts in a red or blue color (denoting enemy or friendly respectively) but changing them all to the black pencil color so you must visually ID them as such yourself.  Ya know.. better realism in the little details.  I think it also may include some minor adjustments to things like wave heights and getting rid of that grainy video overlay in the vanilla game that most people disable.

My own modifications to the mod were just some modified values to make AI destroyer detection a bit more of a problem.  I also had to change a value or two because the mod disabled the external view and I just can't do without occasionally watching my sub from the outside or seeing enemy ships explode, it's so gorgeous.  The other biggie was lowering the Japanese patrol plane average range, in order to lower the amount I was seeing in some areas.  This last one was an issue in the vanilla game too, IIRC, so I would've done it with both.  Unfortunately it's been awhile since I last played this sim so I don't recall exactly what I modded - there are lots of text files with values though so it wasn't difficult once I found what I was looking for.

As for manual targeting, there are likely some YT vids out there.  Learn to use the map tools (a really superb feature of the series) to mark your contacts and measure their bearing and distance so you can figure out their speed & course (as one example of use).  I just leave map contacts on but mark the location on the map every three minutes and do the math to figure out the target ship's speed, which is the trickiest part of a torpedo solution IMO.

Anyway.. there are different ways to go about getting the target's course & speed info for a torpedo solution, and you can find them on the Subsim Forums.  My main way of aiming for a specific part of the ship, after having my final solution entered, was to 'unlock' my periscope from the target, move the aimpoint ahead of where I wanted to aim, and waiting for that point on the ship to reach the vertical aimpoint in the scope to launch.  I'd usually try to put one under a stack or two and/or one at the center if it's big.  Underneath the main gun turrets, too, if it's a capital warship.  Turn off magnetic detonators in the American boats as those were over sensitive historically, and are modelled that way here too, so they will often detonate too early.  Contact only, for me, at least until near the very end of the war perhaps.

I'm rambling.  There is a lot of info on how to do manual targeting, where to aim for, and other such tips on Subsim.  Just keep in mind that your solution needs to be close but there is a small bit of room for error, more so the closer you are to the target when you launch. Smile
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:48 am

Again Nefaro,

Thx for all the info and the link to TMO 2.5 for SH4.
I will try a first Campaign in Vanilla mode so I can compare the 2 versions after this.

Cheers
Gen Wink
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:43 pm

If you want to re-enable external views while using TMO, there is a ReadMe included with the mod that tells you what value to change in a text file. It's easy.

I believe it may have one or two other optional changes listed too.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:43 am

I agree IV is better then III! I like the Pacific theater more so I might be biased. Also it has MP? They would make some hilarious videos I'm sure, since I'm not very good at the game.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:42 am

I don't think the SH series has multi-player.  Well... SH2 did, with it's accompanying Destroyer title, but it was buggy.  There was no single-player dynamic campaign in SH2 and there were many other problems so they changed course in the third one.

Also.. another tip on American torpedoes. Along with setting the detonators to Contact Only, also set the run depth to it's minimum against most targets.

Ideally you would want a torpedo to exploded directly against the bottom of the keel, so getting them to hit as low as possible on the hull would be good. However.. the American torpedoes had a serious depth keeping problem through much of the war and that is modelled in SH4. They can randomly run deeper than you have them set, so if you're trying to set them deep enough to hit lower they may just pass underneath instead.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:48 am

Hi Nefaro, it seem's that SH4 has multiplayer available for LAN and Internet (will try to confirm this by this weekend).
When you select your options, if offers one that gives your name for the sub your using.

Got a question for you, did you ever tried the RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP MOD versus TMO 2.5 ?
It seem's that many SH4 YT are playing this SH4 MOD !

See you soon under the sea (SH4) or in the AIR (ROF). Wink

Cheers
Gen

I will try to start a new SH4 campaign with TMO this weekend. Wink

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 am

I tried a couple other SH4 mods. I believe one of them was an earlier version of RSRD. Wasn't all that enamored with it back then but I don't recall specific reasons besides the other ones were a mix of fewer encounters and UI/mechanic tweaks I didn't enjoy as much as TMO.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:58 am

Hi Nefaro,

Just a quick feedback on my last 2 patrols using the SH4 TMO Mod...
Wow, what a great feeling getting my first merchant ship (11 000 pound).
I must say that my first patrol was a bit frustrating, not being able to hit any ship with my torpedo's (working on my manual targeting), but I did sink (2) two ships with my upper cannon at night! Wink

For now, i'm near the Australian cost (near Darwin) trying my hand on convoys.

Thanks again for all your comments on SH4 and TMO.
I might try adding RSRD with TMO.

And next weekend, it's OM... but not sure if this run's with RSRD.

Cheers
Gen
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Try to get into a port at night in a big storm and you can lay waste to 5-10 ships at anchor.

GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:45 am

Yep,

That is something that I must try soon...
But last night, torpedo 1 and 2 bow were damage... and I learn that just when I was ready to torpedo a Australian tanker, had to climb up and blow her in piece with my cannon.
I must say not knowing about the ships near (all in black on map), makes it a bit harder than the vanilla game.

Cheers
Capt. GenMarkof007, reporting from U-677 Wink

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 am

I've yet to try any mods with it yet. Would you recommend that one?

GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:29 am

Hi Dukely,

I'm starting a new patrol with the OM + RSRD MODS...
I must say, If you want to try out a career with the german U-Boat crew (in SH4) around the world, these mods are really great!
Last night, after leaving my main Port of Kiev, I was surprise by 3 warships (near the english channel) that came fast on me with search lights on.
After more than 3 hours in the water, they started to leave my area still searching my sub... ouf! Wink

Here's some great links to get the latest MOD, still working with SH4 + SH4 Wolves of the Pacific (v1.5):

- Operation Monsun (play with U-Boats or US sub around the world)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134922

- Run Silent, Run Deep The campaign (*works with TMO or OM)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123467

- Trigger Maru Overhauled V.2.5 (the most complete Mega Mod for SH4 v.1.5)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132330

Take some time to read the install setup, each MOD need to be insert in a strict order with Generic Mod Enabler.

Have fun and let me know which MOD works best for you?
Cheers
GenMarkof007 - U-56 near Portsmouth (radio silence for now) Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am