The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

July 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

DrZebra--Tell us your method of level bombing!

SeaLord
Operations Officer

DrZebra--Tell us your method of level bombing!

Post by SeaLord on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:21 am

DrZebra--You wrote a chat message to me in yesterday's mission on the calculations to make when level bombing. Can you post those instructions here, please? When I level bomb, the bombs always seem to fall long or short. I don't know if is my altitude calculation or my speed calculation. I think it is my speed calculation. If I subtract about 20-30k.p.h. I seem to be on target. I don't know why. I try to bomb with or against the wind because a cross wind just adds too much complexity.

Thanks.
DrZebra

Re: DrZebra--Tell us your method of level bombing!

Post by DrZebra on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:20 pm

the only part where you have to calculate anything is in the breguet, as it has no wind adjustment dial... and since 1 m/s equals 3.6 km/h you just need to add or subtract the speed of the wind from your airspeed. Which in the breguet is tricky, as it has 2 scales, one for 2000m and one for 4000m altitude.

another addtion can be calculate airspeed: http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=31142
but i mostly don´t do that.

basically the best thing to hit something with the bombsight, which can be very very precise, is to allow for a long final aproach to target, so that airspeed and everything is stabilized. The more you hurdle things, the more you miss.. Off course then it is important to have the sight lined up as early as possible..

Setting max speed, max tailwind and 0 altitude lets you look the most forward with the sight, but off course you need to take that settings and replace them with the targeting ones in time. I mostly only use 0 alt. and set the correct speed and wind, line up... and then set the right alt when getting close. Off course, it is easier on a course against the wind then with a tailwind course, but with a tailwind course you are faster and more surprisingly over target and have a better chance of catching guys on the ground.

Last edited by DrZebra on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Ok, thanks. I did a mission in a Gotha yesterday and bombed from 3000m. My bombs fell a little long, but dropped a little early and I took out the airfield I was bombing. I must not be setting the altitude and the speed accurately.
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 pm

it also depends on how reliable the wind information is.. and if your course is directly with or against the wind. if you fly perpendicular to the wind, you can ignore the influence on speed and only try to adjust for leeward drift (aiming upwind). The higher up, the more difficult it gets, though...
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:45 am

My problem has been getting lined up on the approach. By the time the target enters my sight, there is little time to adjust via the flight controls there and often ends up sloppy or not getting the crosshair close enough by the time it passes over.

I've not done it very much yet, though, so I tend to stick with the scouts still or bomb from lower altitudes.
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am

Nefaro- In the bombers with nose gunners (HP O/400, Gotha G.V, and the Felixstowe F.2A) I sit in the nose gunner seat and look for the target and maneuver from there (and the bomb site view) to get a rough line up on the target.  Once the target is in the bomb site, I do the final line up.  I haven't tried it, but I suppose you could fiddle with the altitude and speed on the bomb site to give you the most time to see the target in the bomb site on approach.  You would have to dial-in the final settings on the bomb site in stages until you reached the final setting before bomb drop.  I saw a video on YouTube where a guy explained the method.

I read the manual on the Breguet and I did some bombing yesterday from 4000m.  I used the 4000m scale for the speed (the manual states how to adjust the indicated speed downward for the bombsite setting).  I was putting bombs on target pretty well.  Now I want to try to hit a moving train from 4000m!
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:14 am

I am going to try a useful and historically accurate tool for those last minute bombsite calculations-- the slide rule.
DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:23 am

oh great.. feel free to quote that manual bit here, albeit reading or re-opening the manual is always recomendable for all, me included, in general.

the point is that when you first set alt to zero in the bombsight, go out and go in again, it is not zero anymore.. it is sort of a bug, so re-set to zero!  

I really recomend setting wind and expected speed even before the final vector on target... and then the first thing to set alt to zero once you are on the final run down. Just finetune speed then... line up calmly... if you have at least 3-5 sec without course chance and the line stays on what you want to hit with no drift your good....And set the alt as the target runs in. It is definatly able to give pinpoint accuracy. And this way of last setting altitde is the most ergonomic way.

but off course you don´t allways have time if you need to watch the enemy or your squadron or or or... best is really to buy the bombers the time for calm , long attack run.

best emergency plan, when maneuvering into the wind and all that is hampered by visible fighters climbing up or coming up in the distance can be the 90° run: go perpendicular to the wind, ignore wind settings (set 0) and aim the targeting line about half a centimeter windward for 2000m.

once engaged on the final run without cover, (like we were with tailmange) it really is a bad situation.. but a good plan for sturdy and fast planes (Breguet, Dfw, Roland CLII) is for one bomber to draw the fire.. ie activly engaging the fighters...  that means either jettisioning bombs and fight or,if it is a confident pilot and safety of fighters can not be counted on.. dive in a low attack, so that fighters get drawn low or at least split up. Ideal in a 2 vs 2 situation for instance would be if the last bomber ties the attackers attention, then when they are on him, dives low and tries to either lose them (outrunning is possible in breguet) in fast lowpass or draws them to flak free zone to which the 2nd bomber dives after the attack for assistance. But know when a thing is lost... when you see the low one going down.. do go in further, unless you certain of victory.

some old fun: long distance over the channel missions... the DH4 with just 2 large bombs is very fast and hard hitting.. I climbed to 4oooom  to be undisturbed and let the last bomb fall on the aerodrome: I nothing but recomend that loadout: 2 bombs no weapon mods.-> speeeeeeeeed

DrZebra

Post by DrZebra on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 am

also note: different bomb sizes have different fall characteristics and drag...

generally: your plane is faster if the same bombweight is in less bombs.... and in RoF that is really a bit. maybe too much. all this "12-tiny bombs" thing make you slow. The only justification is if you need to hit many small targets like an artillery battery, but once they are relativly close together, the largest bombs (->blastradius) are almost always the better choice.

and:

the "fighter" co-release (fighters releasing small bombs at alt with the bombers)
the way we we tried was badly prepared, my fault this time... basically works only perfect if you have planes with the same TYPE of bombs (same fall characteristics) and give a long good formated approach. with some countdown.. "drop in 3" "2" "1" "go"
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 am

DrZebra wrote:also note: different bomb sizes have different fall characteristics and drag...

generally: your plane is faster if the same bombweight is in less bombs.... and in RoF that is really a bit. maybe too much.  all this "12-tiny bombs" thing make you slow. The only justification is if you need to hit many small targets like an artillery battery, but once they are relativly close together, the largest bombs (->blastradius) are almost always the better choice.

and:

the "fighter" co-release (fighters releasing small bombs at alt with the bombers)
the way we we tried was badly prepared, my fault this time... basically works only perfect if you have planes with the same TYPE of bombs (same fall characteristics) and give a long good formated approach. with some countdown.. "drop in 3" "2" "1" "go"

Hey, it almost worked.  I got out of formation, which was my fault.  However, the lag was pretty bad at certain times.  I remember at one point I was beginning to overtake you and your plane appeared to stop moving for about 8 seconds.  In adjusting my throttle, I had to go by the Doppler shift of the sound of your engine to try to tell if I was closing or passing you.  On the release command, I delayed my bomb release to compensate for being too far behind you.  If I had waited a few seconds longer it would have worked.  I would like to try it again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm