The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

December 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Voice Comms

Dukely
Admin

Voice Comms

Post by Dukely on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:59 am

Should we setup voice coms? Would be nice to talk with each other during RoF practice or when playing other games. Steam is a decent program to use for this and Razor Comms is good too. Most of the other chat programs would require server setup and probably fees. Since our squadron has no income I don't think thats feasible.

SeaLord
Operations Officer

Re: Voice Comms

Post by SeaLord on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 am

Sounds like a good idea for practice sessions. Be forewarned though, I think I might have a slight speech impediment. I was forced to go to "speech therapy" in school when I was a kid. On a video I narrated, someone said, "you sound like you are drunk," a comment I took offense at, since I was sober and I only act like I am drunk. Ironically, the commenter's Facebook page was full of pictures of him getting drunk at parties. It takes one to know one, I guess.
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:50 am

P.S.  I like to write humorous stuff, but I lack the gift for spontaneous verbal humor that Dukely has.

Last edited by SeaLord on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:55 am

Dukely wrote:Should we setup voice coms? Would be nice to talk with each other during RoF practice or when playing other games. Steam is a decent program to use for this and Razor Comms is good too. Most of the other chat programs would require server setup and probably fees. Since our squadron has no income I don't think thats feasible.

Hi all,

On my part, I did use a lot TS3 (Team Speak 3) for Arma 2 operations and it's possible to create specific rooms for different games with this app.
If we don't have any fund at this time to have our own Team Speak Server, we could see with Syndicate our Wings if we could have a room (DD folder) that we could use for our multiplayer fly ins! Wink

I'm ok with using TS3 for our training session's and for bomber/recon planes (pilots and gunners), I'm sure, some of the gunner were able to shout to each other in some form.
For the other time, would be nice to try out the sign (in game gesture) and flares to communicate between each other.
If most of the player have TrackIR 5, that might help also. Mine should be order by next week.
As for the online chat, it's fairly hard to fight and type at the same time, like me and SeaLord did find out yesterday.

p.s.: if all goes well next week, I should be able to work on a skin for the Neuport with the DD insignia and colors, might help to find each other in the sky! Wink

Cheers
Gen

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:11 am

Weird, can't write funny stuff. All i have is spontaneous!

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:20 am

We did work out a series of signals which everyone should know. Look for it in the training section I believe.

GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:58 am

GenMarkof007 wrote:
Dukely wrote:Should we setup voice coms? Would be nice to talk with each other during RoF practice or when playing other games. Steam is a decent program to use for this and Razor Comms is good too. Most of the other chat programs would require server setup and probably fees. Since our squadron has no income I don't think thats feasible.

Hi all,

On my part, I did use a lot TS3 (Team Speak 3) for Arma 2 operations and it's possible to create specific rooms for different games with this app.
If we don't have any fund at this time to have our own Team Speak Server, we could see with Syndicate our Wings if we could have a room (DD folder) that we could use for our multiplayer fly ins! Wink

I'm ok with using TS3 for our training session's and for bomber/recon planes (pilots and gunners), I'm sure, some of the gunner were able to shout to each other in some form.
For the other time, would be nice to try out the sign (in game gesture) and flares to communicate between each other.
If most of the player have TrackIR 5, that might help also. Mine should be order by next week.
As for the online chat, it's fairly hard to fight and type at the same time, like me and SeaLord did find out yesterday.

p.s.: if all goes well next week, I should be able to work on a skin for the Neuport with the DD insignia and colors, might help to find each other in the sky! Wink

Cheers
Gen

Talking of TrackIR 5, I just bought one from eBay, and it will be shipped from California tomorrow! Smile
Cheers

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:05 am

Great it will make a huge difference!

SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:33 pm

I say we go with definitely go with voice comms for training. I also agree that voice comms for pilot and observer would not violate the spirit of the historical reality of World War I air operations. I am sure pilots and gunner/observers could talk to one another, or at least had a series of hand gestures worked out that RoF can't simulate. However, with voice comms, I will require a Darth Vader voice modulation program to make my voice sound more authoritative.

I suggest that we can use a simple "radio silence in effect" (i.e., mute your mike) to simulate a real operations environment in training. Then, after everything goes to Hades in a hand basket (as it always does), we can have a debriefing of what went wrong and discuss new tactics, etc.

I know nothing about TeamSpeak, Razor Comms, or the Steam voice comms, so any information on those applications would be appreciated. I have the TeamSpeak application but have never had any occasion to actually use it. Also, I can't chat and chew bubble gum at the same time.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:02 pm

SeaLord wrote:I say we go with definitely go with voice comms for training.  I also agree that voice comms for pilot and observer would not violate the spirit of the historical reality of World War I air operations.  I am sure pilots and gunner/observers could talk to one another, or at least had a series of hand gestures worked out that RoF can't simulate.  However, with voice comms, I will require a Darth Vader voice modulation program to make my voice sound more authoritative.

I suggest that we can use a simple "radio silence in effect" (i.e., mute your mike) to simulate a real operations environment in training.  Then, after everything goes to Hades in a hand basket (as it always does), we can have a debriefing of what went wrong and discuss new tactics, etc.

I know nothing about TeamSpeak, Razor Comms, or the Steam voice comms, so any information on those applications would be appreciated.  I have the TeamSpeak application but have never had any occasion to actually use it.  Also, I can't chat and chew bubble gum at the same time.  

On my part, I do know that Team Speak 3 is very easy to use and it works fairly good for any type of games and with many people at the same time.
Many groups online use it because they can have many rooms/games/channel at the same time.
But i'm also open to try the Steam app or the other ones.

Cheers
Gen
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 pm

GenMarkof007:

Dukely was concerned about server setup and fees. I would like more information about your suggested work-around. I am trying to reach out to Syndicate Squadron, so maybe we can leverage that as you suggest.

Thanks,
SeaLord
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Whatever works. I've been using Teamspeak with some stuff and have used various others over the years. I think there are quite a few voice options out there, some not requiring dedicated servers.

At the least, it would help get things organized beforehand.
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm

I agree that we should try something low-fuss and easy to use first and see how it goes. I am getting up to speed on this, so I need a little time to check out the applications andcatch up to where you are. I still need the Darth Vader voice modulator, so please let me know if you run across anything like that.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 am

SeaLord wrote:I agree that we should try something low-fuss and easy to use first and see how it goes.  I am getting up to speed on this, so I need a little time to check out the applications andcatch up to where you are.  I still need the Darth Vader voice modulator, so please let me know if you run across anything like that.

SeaLord, I think that Team Speak 3 offer voice changes.
That way, other players don't try pick up line with women's playing Multiplayer games. Wink
Cheers

Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:36 am

Steam is the only free voice program I know of that allows multiple people to chat at once.

GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:58 am

Dukely wrote:Steam is the only free voice program I know of that allows multiple people to chat at once.

Let's try it next fly out!
I'm up to it, just need to find how it works and if it's change framerates with low end computers or slow connections.
Cheers
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:42 am

I could setup a Steam group for everyone to join.

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 am

If Steam's voice stuff works for a group, then that may be the easiest way to go. I've not tried it yet.

The problem I often see in public voice gaming rooms is some young douchebags entering and just spouting off obscenities to interrupt our conversation. SimHQ hosts open Teamspeak rooms for people like us to fly together with comms but it gets plagued with such idiot twats sometimes when you're in the middle of something.

My point with that last bit is it's ideal to have some modicum of control over the comms room and be able to kick such assholes who show up, or lock it down with a password.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 am

Nefaro wrote:If Steam's voice stuff works for a group, then that may be the easiest way to go.  I've not tried it yet.

The problem I often see in public voice gaming rooms is some young douchebags entering and just spouting off obscenities to interrupt our conversation.  SimHQ hosts open Teamspeak rooms for people like us to fly together with comms but it gets plagued with such idiot twats sometimes when you're in the middle of something.  

My point with that last bit is it's ideal to have some modicum of control over the comms room and be able to kick such assholes who show up, or lock it down with a password.

Hi Nefaro,

I do understand this, got a lot of newbee or people coming and yelling in TS3 channels...
But I may have found a ROF TS3 server that offer this:

"If somebody needs squad channel, write to me in PM. Title and password for the channel."

That would mean that we don't have any cost and we would have a password channel room for the Dukely Ducks Squadron! Wink

I'll go and visit the TS3 server today and send an email for a trial out this week.

Cheers
Gen
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:23 am

GenMarkof007 wrote:
SeaLord wrote:I agree that we should try something low-fuss and easy to use first and see how it goes.  I am getting up to speed on this, so I need a little time to check out the applications andcatch up to where you are.  I still need the Darth Vader voice modulator, so please let me know if you run across anything like that.

SeaLord, I think that Team Speak 3 offer voice changes.
That way, other players don't try pick up line with women's playing Multiplayer games. Wink
Cheers

I don't need to be confused with a girl, so I'll use my normal voice. Laughing
SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 am

GenMarkof007 wrote:
Nefaro wrote:If Steam's voice stuff works for a group, then that may be the easiest way to go.  I've not tried it yet.

The problem I often see in public voice gaming rooms is some young douchebags entering and just spouting off obscenities to interrupt our conversation.  SimHQ hosts open Teamspeak rooms for people like us to fly together with comms but it gets plagued with such idiot twats sometimes when you're in the middle of something.  

Hi Nefaro,

I do understand this, got a lot of newbee or people coming and yelling in TS3 channels...
But I may have found a ROF TS3 server that offer this:

"If somebody needs squad channel, write to me in PM. Title and password for the channel."

That would mean that we don't have any cost and we would have a password channel room for the Dukely Ducks Squadron! Wink

I'll go and visit the TS3 server today and send an email for a trial out this week.

Cheers
Gen

That's what I like to see--teamwork and initiative.

So to reiterate, Gen, you are going to get a TS3 trial squadron channel for out exclusive use. If we like it, are there fees or a subscription? If so, please get the fee subscription information too. Thanks, Gen!

I am also willing to pitch in for squadron funds to support the ideas being discussed.

SeaLord

SeaLord
Operations Officer

Post by SeaLord on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:35 am

GenMarkof007 wrote:Hi All,

After a few emails, I'm happy to give the good news that we now have a Team Speak 3 channel for our Dukely Ducks Squadron (DD).
The best part, is that the channel is lock (same for all sub-channels) for only DD Squadron players.

This server host many ROF Squadron that you see often inside different ROF multiplayer servers.
Here is the address to access the ROF TS3 Server :

ts3.riseofflight.net:7777
pass: 1917

After you enter, you need to scroll down the list of channel, the list of multiplayer server and then...
You will find a title call:   ======SQUADRONS======

Then, you choose the channel: DD
You will need the password for the DD channel and all DD sub-channels.
This will be given by Dukely in a PM (Personal Message) --- please don't give or type this password anywhere on this forum!

For now, these are the sub-Channels:

- DD Officer Mess - general talking
- Allies - when playing Allies pilots or gunners
- Centrals - when playing Centrals pilots or gunners
- Other WW1 Games - if you have other games that you want to play with other DD players

That's all... have fun and we can test this when everyone gets is password!

Cheers
Gen Wink

Oh yes SeaLord, it's free for now! Wink

-

Gen:

Great work! Thanks!

SeaLord
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:48 am

Great!

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 am

Awesome.

You may want to sticky the TS server info in this section, or somewhere, for future reference. Minus the p/w of course.
GenMarkof007

Post by GenMarkof007 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:59 am

Nefaro wrote:Awesome.

You may want to sticky the TS server info in this section, or somewhere, for future reference.  Minus the p/w of course.

I will leave this for Dukely, the same to send the PM with the p/w.

See you in the sky and also in TS3 Wink
Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 am