The Forum of Dukely

The Forum of Dukely

Building a gaming community!

Latest topics

» What Have You Guys Been Playing?
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 am by Dukely

» Check Your 6! & Jet Age - Coming To PC!
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am by Nefaro

» IL2: Battle of Stalingrad
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm by Nefaro

» A Private Air Show
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 am by DrZebra

» The Great Game (DEFCON)
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» Follow up on the Dukely Ducks Squadron...
Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am by DrZebra

» New Mode: Enduring Confrontation!
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm by Nefaro

» Armored Warfare (free-to-play)
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm by Nefaro

» On The Table
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 am by Nefaro

December 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Community wargame

Dukely
Admin

Community wargame

Post by Dukely on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:41 am

I used to watch this guy on YouTube who would setup games and then post a video with possible moves and ask people what they wanted to do. I think this might be a cool thing to try out. I don't know what game would work best, maybe something a lot of people know, maybe Warhammer? Just an idea I had and wanted to post.

SeaLord
Operations Officer

Re: Community wargame

Post by SeaLord on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:06 am

Sounds interesting, but I have to admit that I know nothing about Warhammer.
Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 am

I never thought the Warhammer mechanics were very good.  The IP is great, of course, just not their game system.  Not my thing, anyway.  But perhaps you have all the flashy stuff for it?  From what I gather, that's the real draw - how it looks with models & terrain.. not so much the gameplay??

If you did something of this nature, I'd imagine you would probably want a game that doesn't take too long to play out.  At least the first time.  But the length of each turn playing out could be long and involved since that'll be the part that's being recorded.  

Co-operative games tend to work well with this kind of vid since there is usually some specific movement interpretation or wotnot required of the creator.  Also some games have hidden info for each side.  Either way, it can make confrontational games rather tricky and open to issues of intent.

Not sure what you have to work with regarding game titles. Bloody April would probably take a lot of time, and it seems the bulk of the decision making is up front. Aside from that, it's strength probably lies in the 'Fog Of War' in the full two-player game, which would be a problem to emulate.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:47 am

Warhammer was a bad example. I would definitely want to play something more historical, Flames of War, Pike and Shot, Black Powder, Etc. I'm gonna go back and see if I can find his videos to show you how he did it.

You're right a fog of war style game won't work at all, it would have to be a classic wargame where all the units are visible on the board.

Found it! https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTabletopGamer/videos

Nefaro
Flight Leader

Post by Nefaro on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:59 am

Dukely wrote:Warhammer was a bad example.

Not necessarily.  I'm not really a mini-wargamer, having started with the old hex & counter stuff in my youth, so I'm not as familiar running one of them.  It might be easy running a WH/40K thing like this, I dunno.  I do enjoy the Warhammer setting.

I would definitely want to play something more historical, Flames of War, Pike and Shot, Black Powder, Etc. I'm gonna go back and see if I can find his videos to show you how he did it.

You're right a fog of war style game won't work at all, it would have to be a classic wargame where all the units are visible on the board.

Found it! https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTabletopGamer/videos

So do you actually have all the stuff to run mini-wargames?  Those things always seemed to be huge money sinks to me, but if you have the goods then why not use them, right? Very Happy

In other related ways, I still think we should eventually try a boardgame over Vassal sometime.  The trick being scheduling a block of time when we could do it and finding one that would fit not just the time frame but the amount of people wanting to play.  I've seen people make vids of those too. Not sure how the Bloody April vassal module handles the blind setup stuff, I'm not terribly familiar with Vassal yet.
Dukely
Admin

Post by Dukely on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 am

I originally got into wargamming because i liked painting minis I've only played a few games of warhammer. Also its easy to play a wargame without the minis, you can use proxies, or bits of paper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am